The office of Dr. Miryam Bookman and Dr. Jason Goldberg (Artistic Dental) has partnered with The Oral Cancer Foundation in honor of Oral Cancer Awareness Month and will be offering free oral cancer screenings to the public on Friday 4/14/17 from 9:00am to 2:00pm, Thursday 4/20/17 from 5:00pm to 7:30pm and Wednesday 4/26/17 from 7:00am to 2:00pm. (Please let your family and friends know as we are offering this service to anyone in the community, even if they are NOT patients of the practice.)
Oral cancer has existed outside the understanding of much of the public, yet 48,250 Americans will be newly diagnosed this year alone. Oral cancer is not a rare disease. It kills one person every hour of every day in the US, and approximately 130 new individuals will be diagnosed each day with oral cancer. These staggering statistics make these free events crucial, as awareness of the disease and its risk factors in the US population is so low.
Dr. Bookman, Dr. Goldberg and the entire Artistic Dental family are eager to help spread oral cancer awareness. In addition to traditional screening methods, our practice will also be using VELscope technology during the screenings. The VELscope® Vx Enhanced Oral Assessment System centers on a handheld scope that is used by dentists to help visualize oral tissue abnormalities, including cancer and pre-cancer. Please don’t miss out on this opportunity for a free oral cancer screening.
Oral Cancer Facts:
- 48,250 AMERICANS WILL BE DIAGNOSED WITH
ORAL CANCER THIS YEAR ALONE.
- WORLDWIDE THE PROBLEM IS MUCH GREATER, WITH
NEW CASES EXCEEDING 640,000 ANNUALLY.
- THE FASTEST GROWING SEGMENT OF THE ORAL/
OROPHARYNGEAL CANCER POPULATION, ARE
HPV16+ YOUNG NON-SMOKERS
- TOBACCO USE IN ALL OF ITS FORMS AND ALCOHOL
ARE STILL MAJOR RISK FACTORS FOR ORAL CANCER
Signs and Symptoms:
- RED AND/OR WHITE DISCOLORATIONS OF THE SOFT TISSUE OF THE MOUTH
- ANY SORE WHICH DOES NOT HEAL WITHIN 14 DAYS
- HOARSENESS WHICH LASTS FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD OF TIME
- A SENSATION THAT SOMETHING IS STUCK IN YOUR THROAT WHEN SWALLOWING
- UNEXPLAINED NUMBNESS IN THE MOUTH
- EAR PAIN THAT OCCURS ON ONE SIDE ONLY
- A SORE UNDER A DENTURE, WHICH EVEN AFTER ADJUSTMENT OF THE DENTURE, STILL DOES NOT HEAL
- A LUMP OR THICKENING THAT DEVELOPS IN THE MOUTH OR ON THE NECK