Smoke Detector Saves Family

Structure Fire

On April 4th Police, Fire, and EMS units responded to 538 George Road in reference to a structure fire. Toms River Police spokesman Ralph Stocco stated that at approximately 11:20 pm the homeowner was awoken to the sound of an alarm and the smell of smoke. He went to investigate and noticed the kitchen to be on fire. He dialed 911 and evacuated his wife and two children, age 8 and 4. The homeowner then tried to battle the flames with a fire extinguisher until he became overcome with smoke and had to flee.

Fire personnel from East Dover and Silverton responded and brought the fire under control. Toms River Bureau of Fire Prevention Inspector Roselli is conducting the investigation along with members of the Toms River Police Department. The cause has yet to be determined. There were no injuries during the incident.

Related News:  California drug user charged with murder after delivering stillborn baby, gets 11 years in prison

Although tragic, this event highlights the importance of having smoke detectors and fire extinguishers in every home. Had these not been present and in working order we most assuredly would have had more extensive damage to the home and the potential for very serious injuries to this family.


Attributions in this article: Map data ©2019 Google, Photo © BigStock Photos. Hand out photos courtesy of reporting agency. Press releases are the intellectual property of the issuing agency or corporation. Please report any photo, copyright or intellectual property violations to news@shorewsnetwork.com.