LAKEWOOD, NJ – A forest fire that burned through 170 acres between Lakewood Township and Brick Township continued to burn into the night as hundreds of firefighters from the region worked overnight to contain the fire.
As of 10:30 p.m. Sunday, the Lakewood area wildfire had burned through 170 acres.
Lakewood Fire, Here’s What Happened So Far
- Lakewood Fire Chief: Numerous structures caught fire as blaze heads to Brick
- Are You Kidding Me? With Ocean County on Fire, New Jersey Governor Murphy eats pizza
- Lakewood fire jumps Route 70, threatening Marketplace at Brick, Lake Riviera
- High winds carrying Lakewood fire towards Brick as Target, Lowes on 70 evacuated
- Garden State Parkway closed as large forest fire engulfs area in Lakewood
- Hilton Hotel on Route 70 in Brick Evacuated as Fire Draws Near
The New Jersey Forest Fire Service continued suppression, patrol, and mop-up operations throughout the night, and support from local fire companies was scaled back throughout Sunday night as containment increased.
“The origin has been identified and the cause is under investigation, though we can state it was not from a prescribed burn as reported inaccurately online,” the Forest Fire Service said.
Two mixed-use professional/commercial structures were destroyed by the fire.
While the wildfire came close to residential areas, no homes were substantially damaged though some ancillary structures such as sheds were impacted.
Residents in the affected areas are urged to stay away from impacted areas and emergency response activity.
They also said to stop flying your drones in the area.
— Brian Thompson (@brian4NY) March 15, 2021
“Drones of any kind interfere with the fire-fighting effort and are prohibited in the area. Brick Township residents who were evacuated began returning home at 7:00 p.m. Sunday.
A New Jersey Forest Fire Service firefighter is in critical condition at a nearby hospital.
Road closures and reopenings:
– Garden State Parkway is now reopened. The entrance to Garden State Parkway (north) at Shorrock Street will remain closed until morning re-evaluation.
– Route 528 has reopened
– Route 70 (one westbound lane from Cedar Bridge Ave to the Garden State Parkway will remain closed)
– All other ramps are reopened.