SPRINGFIELD, MA – The Springfield Police Department recovered a large-capacity firearm and made two arrests after a shooting Tuesday morning.
The Springfield Police Department reports:
At approximately 12:55 am Tuesday, officers responded to the 0-100 block of Dennis Street for a report of a gunshot victim. Officers immediately provided first aid to the adult male gunshot victim who was suffering from non-life-threatening injuries.
After an investigation, officers were able to locate and identify 41-year-old Orlando Cooper as the shooter. Mr. Cooper was placed under arrest.
The investigation also revealed that Mr. Cooper handed his firearm to a juvenile male asking him to hide the gun. Officers located the juvenile on Regal Street and later located the firearm in a yard on Regal Street. The juvenile faces several firearm charges as well.
43-year-old Orlando Cooper of Dennis Street is charged with:
• Assault & Battery with a Dangerous Weapon
• Discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a Building
• Firearm Violation with Three Prior/Violent Drug Crimes
• Possession of a Large Capacity Firearm during the Commission of a Felony
• Contribute to the Delinquency of a Child
• Possession of a High Capacity Magazine/Feeding Device
• Carrying a Loaded Firearm without a License