COLUMBUS – Police in Columbus have not announced any charges yet after a man who is a concealed carry firearms permit holder was approached by several individuals and fired his gun.
Police said at 3:21 am on Saturday, 22-year-old De’Ondre Smith was driving down the road when he was approached by Cameron Kates, 19 and Junior Mugisha, 19. Police said there may have been other individuals that approached Smith’s vehicle, but they were not identified.
Kates, according to police punched Smith, who is licensed to conceal-carry a firearm drew his weapon and shot Kates and Mugisha.
Kates was transported to Grant Hospital where he died at 3:46 a.m. Mugisha was grazed and was treated for his injury.
The case is being referred to the Franklin County Prosecutor’s Office for further investigation. The death was the 46th homicide of 2021 in Columbus.
- Teenager shot on Chicago Avenue in Columbus
- Another day, another shooting in Columbus after man grazed by bullet
- Man wanted after robbing McDonald’s at gunpoint in Columbus
- Youngstown meth dealers indicted
- Mexican national arrested for stealing U.S. veteran’s identity and federal benefits