PANAMA CITY BEACH, FL – Police were called to the Surfside Middle School in Panama Beach on Wednesday in reference to a call of a student inside the building with a gun.
The department received that call shortly after 2 p.m. today, reporting that a child at Surfside Middle School was in possession of a gun.
“Beach police responded to the school at 300 Nautilus St., and immediately placed the school on lockdown,” the Panama City Beach Police Department said.
No gun found
The school building was searched and cleared. No child with a weapon was located and no gun was located.
“All children, faculty and school staff are safe,” the department said.
Police are currently doing a second sweep of the school. It is believed this is a hoax/swatting call. This incident is currently under investigation.
School alerts parents
“No weapon was found. Beach Police Officers believe the call they received was a hoax (the initial call was not made to the school but to PCBPD) and they will continue to investigate. We appreciate the swift response of all law enforcement partners, the cooperation of our students and staff and the understanding of our parents,” the school district reported. “This was a scary situation for all and, while we’re frustrated that this may have been a hoax, we are grateful that there was not a real threat to our students. Please be patient with school officials as they return to “normal” and proceed with regular dismissal.”
Earlier the school notified parents, “All students are safe but a few minutes ago, the Panama City Beach Police Department received a report from someone that there was a weapon on our campus. Beach police arrived immediately and we went into lockdown. Our campus has been searched and we have not found a weapon but officers continue to search the perimeter and we will keep you updated. We are not able to check students out while in a lock down and please understand we may not be able to answer the phone at this time due to a high volume of calls. Again, all students are safe and there are many law enforcement officers on our campus at this time to follow up on the report received from someone who was not on our campus.”
More Florida News
- The integrity of the DOJ is at stake as Matt Gaetz sting operation leaked to New York Times NEW YORK, NY – Today, the liberal media is claiming Florida Congressman Matt Gaetz is involved in child sex trafficking. That report published in the New York Times comes after the Times was allegedly tipped off by a source within the Department of Justice. Many on Capitol Hill think it’s just another attempt by the … Read more
- St. Petersburg Mom Shot and Killed in car with her family St. Petersburg, FL – On Tuesday, two people were killed in two separate shooting incidents around St. Petersburg. Fargo Street Shooting The first shooting happened near Fargo Street. At 3:49 p.m., St. Petersburg Police received a call about shots fired and a person injured in front of a home at 1227 Fargo St. South. The … Read more
- Did you get a predator alert on your phone in Volusia County? It was a mistake VOLUSIA COUNTY, FL – Residents in Volusia County were on edge today after many received a text alert saying there was a sexual predator moving into the neighborhood within 1,000 feet of their home. The message was sent in error about a predator who just left the community for DeLand. “Volusia County residents: You may … Read more
- UberOB/GYN as Florida Troopers deliver roadside baby in darkness You’ve heard of Uber and UberEats, but now the Florida Highway Patrol is considering launching UberOB/GYN. The FHP has released a video of its troopers performing a roadside delivery. Troopers, in the dark of night, armed only with flashlights and perhaps a few episodes of “A Baby Story” under their belts delivered a baby. “Two … Read more
- Man blamed suboxone after stealing work van, causing 5 car crash in Port St. Lucie PORT ST. LUCIE – A man in Port St. Lucie decided to steal a work van and caused an accident on Port St. Lucie during lunch this afternoon. “Your lunchtime traffic on SW Port St Lucie Blvd may have been delayed due to a 5 vehicle accident,” the Port St. Lucie Police Department said. Daniel … Read more