TRENTON, N.J. – Charitable organizations, including veterans groups, volunteer fire and rescue squads, churches and other non-profits, would be allowed to host remote bingos and raffles under a bill sponsored by Assemblyman Parker Space and advanced by the Assembly today.
“Our civic organizations and community non-profits support a wide range of services that many residents count on, but their fundraising abilities have been severely impacted because of Covid restrictions,” said Space (R-Sussex). “Moving bingos and raffles online is a win-win for all the parties involved. People can still participate in the activities they enjoyed prior to the pandemic and charitable organizations can raise the revenue they need to support their causes.”
Space’s bill (A4297) permits authorized organizations and associations to raise money through virtual bingos and remote raffles with participants in the state. Tickets for raffles can also be sold remotely to purchasers in New Jersey.
The state’s Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission oversees bingos and raffles conducted by approximately 12,000 charitable, educational, religious, patriotic, public-spirited organizations and senior citizen associations and organizations. The commission estimates that charitable gaming is an $85 million-a-year industry.
More New Jersey News
- Strong sales push Tuesday Mega Millions drawing into top 10 all-time high jackpot listDue to strong sales around the country, the estimated jackpot for Tuesday’s Mega Millions drawing has grown to $468 million, making it the 9th-largest in the games history if won. The estimated cash value is $316.2 million. The last Mega Millions jackpot was hit in mid-February, and Tuesday will mark the 26th draw since then. Tickets
- Cash4Life Jackpot winner to get $1,000 a week for lifeOne Pennsylvania Lottery CASH4LIFE ticket matched the five white balls drawn for the Friday, May 14, drawing winning the $1,000 a week for life second prize. In addition, 10,390 players won $61,260 in cash prizes ranging from $2 to $500 with 2,585 of those tickets doubling their prize with DOUBLER. The winning numbers were: 03, 05, 26, 35
- Powerball jackpot passed the $200 million markThe winning numbers for the Saturday, May 15, drawing were: 04, 10, 37, 39, and 69. The Red Power Ball number was 24. The Multiplier number was 03. 28,817 New Jersey players took home an estimated $163,756 in prizes ranging from $4 to $300. The Powerball jackpot rolls to $201,000,000 for the next drawing to be held Wednesday, May 19, at 10:59 pm. Attributions in this article: Map data
- Two winners split $914,000 Jersey Cash 5 LotteryTwo lucky tickets matched all five numbers drawn splitting the $914,606 Jersey Cash 5 jackpot from the Sunday, May 16, drawing. Each ticket is worth $457,303. The winning numbers were: 07, 12, 27, 36, and 41 and the XTRA number was: 04. The retailers will receive a bonus check for $2,000 for each winning ticket
- Murphy doubles down: We need more time on the clock for indoor mask mandateTRENTON, NJ – New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy made his demand clear today, New Jersey will continue to mask up when in public spaces regardless of whether or not you received your COVID-19 vaccination. That decision goes against the latest guidelines and science provided by the CDC and backed by President Joe Biden. New Jersey