CHARLESTON, WEST VIRGINIA – A Cleveland, Ohio man pleaded guilty today to a federal drug crime. James Lavan, 45, pled guilty to possession with intent to distribute heroin.
According to court documents and statements made in court, Lavan admitted that on June 12, 2019, members of the Charleston Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) executed a search warrant on his girlfriend’s vehicle and seized over 70 grams of heroin from his tool bag in the truck. Lavan admitted he intended to sell the heroin.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), the Charleston Police Department and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) conducted the investigation. Senior United States District Judge John T. Copenhaver, Jr. presided over the hearing. Assistant United States Attorneys Nowles Heinrich, Jeremy B. Wolfe and former Assistant United States Attorney Ryan A. Saunders are handling the prosecution.
A copy of this press release is located on the website of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of West Virginia. Related court documents and information can be found on PACER by searching for Case No. 2:19-cr-00233.
More Crime News
- Two shot in separate shootings in Columbus on SundayTwo more people were shot in separate shootings in Columbus on Sunday. At approximately 12:30 a.m., Northeast District patrol officers responded to an area hospital for a report of a walk-in shooting victim.Once at the location, officers located 36-year-old male suffering from an apparent gunshot wound to the inner left thigh. At 4:13 a.m., Central
- Man charged for shooting, killing mom at home with 18-month-old daughterSt. Petersburg police detectives are investigating a deadly shooting that took place Sunday in the 1200 block of 8th Avenue South. At about 1:30 p.m. Sunday, May 16th, police received a call about a shooting at 1253 8th Ave. S., St. Petersburg. A 27-year-old woman was taken to the hospital, where she died of her
- Serial gym locker thief caught after police chaseVOLUSIA COUNTY, FL – A man wanted for a series of gym locker thefts in Volusia County was arrested after attempting to elude police on Saturday. A license plate reader alerted deputies with the Deltona Crime Suppression Team to a suspect vehicle in a series of recent thefts from gym lockers. The suspect, Thomas Dugan
- Teen shot in drive-by shooting on West Broad StreetCOLUMBUS, OH – On May 16, 2021, at 2:43 pm, officers were dispatched to the area of W. Broad St. and S. Harris Ave. on the report of a shooting. The victim, 19-year-old Dillion Cornette, stated that while he was waiting to turn left into the Sunoco Gas Station at 2725 W. Broad St. a
- Man charged for shooting murder of Anthony Butts after argument escalated to gunfightCOLUMBUS, OH – Columbus police responded to a murder scene on Saturday to find the body of Anthony Butts. An investigation determined Butts had been shot and was unresponsive to arriving officers. He was pronounced dead. Today, the department announced it has a suspect, who also was shot during the incident. According to police, the