NEWARK, N.J. – A New York man made his initial appearance today for alleged abusive sexual contact with a female passenger on a flight to Newark Liberty International Airport, Acting U.S. Attorney Rachael A. Honig announced.
Ryan Manuella, 28, of Cheektowaga, New York, is charged by criminal complaint with one count of abusive sexual contact on an airplane. He had his initial appearance by videoconference before U.S. Magistrate Judge Jessica S. Allen in Newark federal court and was detained.
According to the complaint:
While on an April 16, 2021, flight from Denver, Colorado, to Newark, Manuella moved to a vacant center seat next to a female passenger, who was sitting in a window seat. Manuella was unknown to the victim. While seated next to the victim, Manuela touched her on the groin and inner thigh without her permission.
The abusive sexual contact charge carries a maximum term of two years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
Acting U.S. Attorney Honig credited special agents of the FBI, under the direction of Special Agent in Charge George M. Crouch Jr. in Newark, and officers of the Port Authority Police Department, under the direction of Superintendent of Police Edward Cetnar, with the investigation leading to the charge.
The government is represented by Assistant U.S. Attorney Hayden M. Brockett of the Health Care Fraud Unit in Newark.
The charge and allegations contained in the complaint are merely accusations, and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.
- Here’s what else is happening in New Jersey: Get the latest news from New Jersey on our New Jersey News page. You can also check out our Jersey Shore News page for the latest news from the Jersey Shore.
- Pennsylvania Men get 22 years for Salem County Armed Bank RobberyCAMDEN, N.J. – Two Pennsylvania men who robbed a bank in Carneys Point, New Jersey, in July 2018 while brandishing a firearm
- New law signed by Phil Murphy lets you know if there’s lead in your water, but doesn’t fix the problemTRENTON, NJ – A bill signed into law by New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy will now force water companies to let their
- $10,000 winning lottery tickets sold in Clifton, EdisonTwo lottery tickets worth $10,000 each were sold in two separate locations in New Jersey this yesterday. There were two third-tier prizewinning
- Motorcycle rider airlifted after crash in ManchesterMANCHESTER, NJ – On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at approximately 2:44 pm, officers from the Manchester Township Police Department responded to the
- Two shore juveniles charged for guns, drugs, and a stolen carATLANTIC CITY, NJ – On May 10, 2021, two juvenile males, one in possession of a gun and drugs, were arrested in