North Carolina Man Sentenced for Trafficking a Dozen Loaded Firearms into Rhode Island

/
4 mins read


PROVIDENCE, R.I. – A North Carolina man who was found in possession of a dozen loaded, high-powered firearms, night-vision goggles, a taser, and other like items during a traffic stop by Rhode Island State Police on Rte. 95 was sentenced today to eight years in federal prison, announced Acting United States Attorney Richard B. Myrus.

Anthony Mondrez Thompson, 43, pleaded guilty in federal court on November 6, 2020, to the charge of being a felon in possession of firearms.

According to court documents, during the stop, following a confrontation with a State Police trooper, Thompson attempted to flee on foot on Rte. 95 and was tasered. A search of his vehicle resulted in the seizure of a loaded Glock .40 caliber pistol from under the driver’s seat and a flashlight attachment and laser sight attachment for the Glock .40; eleven loaded firearms and ammunition clips were located in the rear of the vehicle; and a backpack located on the backseat containing camouflage-patterned clothing, a taser, a can of pepper spray, night vision goggles, a machete, handcuffs, and handgun holsters was also recovered.

“Day in and day out, law enforcement and federal prosecutors work closely to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals and off the streets of our neighborhoods,” noted Acting United States Attorney Richard B. Myrus. “This defendant traveled from North Carolina with an arsenal of loaded firearms, ammunition, and other weapons.  Their seizure, and today’s federal sentence, are an unequivocal win for our communities and for the Department of Justice’s Project Safe Neighborhoods Program.”

“As always I am grateful for the vigilance and dedication of our Troopers, but am especially proud today as our Troopers were responsible for apprehending this dangerous individual and seizing a cache of weapons,” said James M. Manni, Superintendent of the Rhode Island State Police and Director of the Department of Public Safety. “I want to commend the rest of our law enforcement team for ensuring that this case was brought to a successful conclusion.”


An analysis of the firearms by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) determined that at least three of the firearms seized from Thompson had been reported stolen.

“Felons who possess firearms endanger our communities” said James M. Ferguson, Special Agent in Charge ATF Boston Field Division  “ATF will continue to partner with federal, state, and local agencies to keep firearms out of the wrong hands.  As a convicted felon, this sentence ensures that our communities will be safer and sends a message that there are real and severe consequences for firearm offenses.”

Appearing today before U.S. District Court Chief Judge John J. McConnell, Jr., Thompson was sentenced to 96 months of incarceration to be followed by two years of federal supervised release.

This case was prosecuted as part of the joint federal, state, and local Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN) Program, the centerpiece of the Department of Justice’s violent crime reduction efforts.  PSN is an evidence-based program proven to be effective at reducing violent crime.  Through PSN, a broad spectrum of stakeholders work together to identify the most pressing violent crime problems in the community and develop comprehensive solutions to address them.  As part of this strategy, PSN focuses enforcement efforts on the most violent offenders and partners with locally based prevention and reentry programs for lasting reductions in crime.

The case was prosecuted in federal court by Assistant U.S. Attorney Milind M. Shah.

###