Homeowner left stove on to keep cat warm, in return cat nearly burned his house down

////
1 min read

LACEY TOWNSHIP, NJ – On Saturday, January 15, 2022, at 22:41 hours, multiple officers, responded to the 200 block of Falkenburgh Avenue, for a report of a fire in the attached garage of the residence.  Upon arrival, officers met with the homeowner who reported that he had the top burners lit on a gas powered stove which was located in the garage. The homeowner mentioned that the heating unit for the house broke, so he had the stove on to heat the garage for his cat and the house as well.  The homeowner reported smelling smoke while inside of the residence and upon checking the garage, observed flames coming from the stove. 

Investigation at the scene revealed that the cat most likely knocked over a Lego set located next to the oven, which caused it to fall onto the burners and ignite the fire.  Officer Keefe utilized his fire extinguisher to put out the fire.  The Forked River Fire Department responded and assisted with extinguishing the oven fire.  The Ocean County Deputy Fire Marshall responded and determined that the fire was not suspicious.

Breaking News
Police Investigating Theft of Over 100 Bronze Vases at this Delaware Cemetary