1 min read

East St. Louis, Ill. – Paul L. Jansen, 26, of Damiansville, Illinois, was sentenced on Wednesday, 
February  16,  2022,  to  188  months  imprisonment  for  attempted  enticement  of  a  minor  and 
enticement  of  a  minor.  The  sentence  will  run  concurrently  for  both  counts.  Jansen  was  
also sentenced to 15 years supervised release, fined $400 ($200 per count), and ordered to pay a 
$200 special assessment fee.
According to the stipulation of facts agreed to by the parties, Jansen attempted to persuade, 
induce, entice, and coerce two victims he knew to be under the age of 18, to engage in sexual 
activity. Jansen contacted the victims using a cellular phone and the internet.   The acts occurred 
between October 27, 2017, and November 25, 2018.

Evidence adduced at sentencing was that Jansen would often initiate contact with females, the 
majority of whom were minors, and within a short time, ask to set up a meeting.   The investigation 
revealed instances of this behavior in several cities in the Metro East area.

This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 
2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and  
abuse.  Led  by  the  United  States  Attorneys’  Offices  and  the  Criminal  Division’s  Child 
Exploitation  and  Obscenity  Section,  Project  Safe  Childhood  marshals  federal,  state,  and  
local resources to locate, apprehend, and prosecute individuals who sexually exploit children, and 
to identify  and  rescue  victims.  For  more  information  about  Project  Safe  Childhood,  
please  visit www.usdoj.gov/psc.   For   more   information   about   internet   safety   
education,   please   visit www.usdoj.gov/psc and click on the tab “resources.”

Breaking News:  13 now in prison in investigation initially targeting Laredo area Mexican Mafia

The case was investigated by the O’Fallon, Illinois, Police Department and the United States Secret 
Assistant United States Attorney Angela Scott prosecuted the case.