RC car battery sparks fire that burned down Lakehurst detached garage and destroyed a real car stored inside it

///////
1 min read

LAKEHURST, NJ – A fire broke out in a detached garage Saturday night while nobody was home at a Lakehurst residence. Investigators determined the fire was caused by a remote-controlled car battery.

“Last night at about 19:45 a fire broke out in a residential-detached garage. Flames were reported showing upon the arrival of the first officer and hit the general alarm,” the Lakehurst Fire Department said on Sunday. “The fire was quickly knocked down but unfortunately the garage was a total loss.”

The fire was started by a LiPo RC car battery that was charging. There were no injuries reported and the residents were not home at the time.

“A huge thanks to all of our mutual aid departments for coming in and assisting,” the department said in a statement.

Photos by Lakehurst FD.