Unlicensed Bounty Hunter Sentenced for Unlawfully Entering the Home of Fugitive’s Brother in South Buffalo

1 min read
Opened police metal handcuffs on wooden floor background. Jail break and criminal justice concept: steel hand cuffs on table, 3D render.

Erie County District Attorney John J. Flynn announces that 36-year-old Dennis J. White of Buffalo was sentenced this morning before State Supreme Court Justice M. William Boller to 60 days in jail and 3 years’ probation, to be served concurrently.  

Between the late evening hours of January 10, 2021 and into the early morning hours of January 11, 2021, the defendant, while working as an unlicensed bail enforcement agent, was searching for a fugitive who was wanted on a bench warrant from Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. The defendant unlawfully searched the residence of the fugitive’s brother on Oakdale Place in the City of Buffalo by forcibly entering the home while armed with what appeared to be a rifle or shotgun.

The defendant admitted that he knowingly and unlawfully entered the victim’s residence as well as an occupied upstairs apartment. The defendant intentionally placed the victims in reasonable fear of injury or death by pointing the gun at the homeowner, his fiancé and two adult tenants. Three children were home at the time of the incident. While unlawfully searching the home, the defendant also intentionally caused damage to a door to gain access to the upstairs apartment.

White pleaded guilty to all charges against him on November 29, 2021.

  • Two counts of Criminal Trespass in the Second Degree (Class “A” misdemeanors)
  • Four counts of Menacing in the Second Degree (Class “A” misdemeanors)
  • Three counts of Endangering the Welfare of a Child (Class “A” misdemeanors)
  • One count of Criminal Mischief in the Fourth Degree (Class “A” misdemeanor)

DA Flynn commends Detective Franklyn King of the Buffalo Police Department for his work in the investigation. 

Related:  Fire near Lakewood reporter's home appears to be intentional, fire department says

A 5-year no-contact Order of Protection was issued against the defendant.

The case was prosecuted by Chief Rachel L. Newton of the Felony Trials Bureau.

Share your thoughts...