Manchester police officers use CPR to revive, save crash scene tow truck driver’s life

1 min read

MANCHESTER TOWNSHIP, NJ – A tow truck driver responding to the scene of an automobile crash on Route 571 in Manchester was revived by police officers on scene after collapsing from a medical episode.

Manchester Police said last Thursday, at approximately 10:38 p.m., officers responded to the area of County Route 571 and Beacon Street for the report of a motor vehicle crash with injuries.

“Upon arrival, officers observed a silver, Hyundai Sonata and a white, Nissan Altima both with extensive front-end damage disabled in the roadway,” according to Captain Vincent Manco. “The investigation determined that the Hyundai Sonota was traveling eastbound on County Route 571 approaching the intersection of Beacon Street when the Nissan Altima which had been traveling westbound, attempted to make a left turn in front of the Hyundai onto Beacon Street. As a result, the front end of the Hyundai Sonata struck the front end of the Nissan Altima.”

Captain Manco said the driver of the Hyundai, a 25-year-old Manchester woman reported no injuries. The driver of the Nissan, a 54-year-old woman sustained non-life-threatening injuries. Maco said Macaleese was treated by Manchester Township EMS, Paramedics from Robert Wood Johnson Barnabus Health and later transported to Community Medical Center by Manchester EMS.

After the crash investigation was complete, police said Freedom Towing was contacted and responded to the scene.

“While in the process of removing the vehicles and cleaning debris from the roadway, Manchester officers observed Freedom tow truck driver, John Macchia, age 61 of Bayville collapse in the roadway,” Captain Manco said. “Patrolman Michael Steffen, Patrolman Kyle Rickvalsky, Patrolman Brendan Brush, and Patrolman Julian Meaney quickly assessed Mr. Macchia’s condition and determined that he was unconscious, not breathing and had no pulse.”

Manco reported officers immediately initiated Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), and deployed an Automated Exterior Defibrillator (AED).

Macchia was then treated by Manchester Township Emergency Medical Service personnel and RWJ Barnabus Paramedics upon their arrival.

“Mr. Maccia was transported to Community Medical Center for treatment where he is expected to make a full recovery,” Manco said.