One Teen Killed in Lewes Fatal Crash, Four Others Hospitalized with Serious Injuries

1 min read
File Photo - Crash scene investigation. Not specific to any news report.

LEWES, DE – One teenager was killed and four others rushed to area hospitals after their vehicle was involved in a collision on the Lewes-Georgetown Highway near EbbTide Drive. The crash happened Friday at around 2:10 pm when a 2012 Honda CR-V, was traveling eastbound on Lewes-Georgetown Highway, approaching the intersection at Ebb Tide Drive.

“At this time, a 2009 Ram 1500 was traveling westbound on Lewes-Georgetown Highway, crossing the intersection at Ebb Tide Drive,” the Delaware State Police said. “A non-contact vehicle was stopped eastbound, waiting to turn left onto Ebb Tide Drive.  A second non-contact vehicle was slowing to a stop behind this vehicle.”

Police said the operator of the Honda failed to observe the stopped traffic ahead, and in an attempt to avoid a collision, swerved left into the westbound lane. The Ram also swerved towards the shoulder, to avoid the Honda, but the front of both vehicles were struck in a near head-on collision.

“After impact the Honda overturned and struck a utility pole before coming to rest off the roadway.  The Ram came to rest in the same area as the impact,” the DSP said.

There were five occupants inside of the Honda.

  • An 18-year-old male of Bear, DE was flown to Christiana Hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.
  • A 17-year-old female of Bear, DE was transported to Beebe Hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.
  • An 18-year-old female of Wilmington, DE was flown to Christiana Hospital in critical condition.
  • A 16-year-old female of Middletown, DE was flown to Christiana Hospital in critical condition
  • A 17-year-old male of Middletown, DE was transported to Beebe Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced deceased. Identification of the victim is pending notification to the next of kin.

The 77-year-old male operator of the Ram was treated and released at an area hospital for minor injuries. The roadway was closed for approximately 3 hours while the investigation was completed, and the roadway was cleared.