Rapid City Man Sentenced to Federal Prison for Possession of Stolen Firearm

2 mins read
FILE PHOTO: Signage is seen at the United States Department of Justice headquarters in Washington, D.C.

United States Attorney Alison J. Ramsdell announced that a Rapid City, South Dakota, man convicted of Possession of a Stolen Firearm was sentenced on May 16, 2022, by Judge Jeffrey L. Viken, U.S. District Court.

Hank Dubray, age 36, was sentenced to 14 months in federal prison, followed by three years of supervised release, and ordered to pay a $100 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.

Dubray was indicted by a federal grand jury on September 18, 2018, and pleaded guilty on July 12, 2021. The conviction stems from Dubray knowingly possessing a stolen Ruger, model SR40, .40 caliber pistol with an obliterated serial number.  The Ruger pistol was among the 24 firearms that were stolen by two other individuals from The Rooster sporting goods store in Rapid City in August 2018.  During the investigation, 22 of the 24 stolen guns were recovered by law enforcement.

This case is part of Project Safe Neighborhoods (PSN), the centerpiece of the Department of Justice’s violent crime reduction efforts.  PSN is an evidence-based program proven to be effective at reducing violent crime.  Through PSN, a broad spectrum of stakeholders work together to identify the most pressing violent crime problems in the community and develop comprehensive solutions to address them.  As part of this strategy, PSN focuses enforcement efforts on the most violent offenders and partners with locally based prevention and reentry programs for lasting reductions in crime. 

The investigation was conducted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation, Rapid City Police Department, and the Pennington County Sheriff’s Office.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Benjamin Patterson prosecuted the case.

Breaking News
Paraguayan National Admits Unlicensed Money Transmitting in Connection with International Money Laundering Investigation

Dubray was immediately remanded to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.