Victim Left to Die in Puddle of Blood in Jackson After Stabbed by Door to Door Verizon Salesman

2 mins read

JACKSON TOWNSHIP, NJ – A Jackson man was stabbed and left to die in a puddle of his own blood, according to the Jackson Township Police Department. The stabbing took place at around 6:15 p.m. in the area of West Veterans Highway and Conor Road in the Cassville section of town.

An earlier report that the stabbing took place at Don Connor Boulevard was incorrect.

Jackson Township Police Chief Matthew Kunz announced that on May 26, 2022, Michael Tsamas, 32, of Laurence Harbor, was charged with murder for the stabbing.

According to police, at around 6:15 p.m., Officers from the Jackson Township Police Department responded to the area of West Veterans Highway and Conor Road in reference to a 911 call stating that a male was lying in the roadway in a pool of blood.

“Responding Officers found Joseph Delgardio, 44, of Jackson Township, with a severe wound to his neck. At the time of the Officers arrival, Mr. Delgardio was already receiving first aid CPR from Fire Department personnel. Life-saving measures were unsuccessful, and Mr. Delgardio was pronounced deceased at the scene,” the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office reported today. “An investigation by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Major Crime Unit, Jackson Township Police Department, and Ocean County Sheriff’s Office Crime Scene Investigation Unit, revealed that Tsamas was working for a company hired by Verizon to solicit customers on a door-to-door basis.” Tsamas knocked on Mr. Delgardio’s door in an attempt to solicit his business. Mr. Delgardio told Tsamas that he was not interested, and Tsamas left Mr. Delgardio’s residence.”

Police said a short time later, Mr. Delgardio confronted Tsamas on the street and a physical altercation ensued. During the altercation, Tsamas removed a knife from his pocket and stabbed Mr. Delgardio in the neck. Tsamas was taken into custody without incident at the scene, and is currently lodged in the Ocean County Jail pending a detention hearing.