Toms River Car Fire Linked to Faulty Lithium-Ion Battery Charger

/////
1 min read

TOMS RIVER, NJ – A car fire in Toms River has been traced back to an overheated faulty lithium-ion battery charger. According to Chief Inspector John Novak, the fire was responded to by the Pleasant Plains Fire Company.

“Pleasant Plains Fire Company responded to a vehicle fire today that was caused by a lithium-Ion battery. The battery was a component of a wireless phone charger that is marketed for a wide variety of cell phones,” Chief Inspector Novak said. “The battery charger was left on a car seat. The owner reported that the device was not working properly. Many manufacturers recommend that Li-ion batteries are not left in direct sunlight. Owners of these products should follow all manufacturer instructions.”

Faulty lithium-ion battery chargers are simple devices often made with cheap components and are prone to electrical shorts which can get extremely hot and catch fire. If you drop or damage a charger or suspect it is damaged, you should immediately stop using the device and discharge it appropriately.

They should never be discarded in residential trash bins due to their potential fire hazard. Many office and electronic retail stores such as Best Buy, Target, Staples, Lowes, Sears and Walmart offer battery recycling options.