Bronx Mom, Son Indicted for Murder of Her 7-Year-Old Daughter

1 min read

NEW YORK, NY – The Bronx District Attorney’s Office has announced the arrest of a Bronx mother and her 17-year-old son for the death of her 7-year-old daughter. Bronx District Attorney Darcel D. Clark described the heinous and grisly acts committed by the two against the young child.

Navasia Jones, 36, and her son Paul Fine Jr, now 18, have been indicted on murder, manslaughter and additional charges in the August 2021 death of her seven-year-old daughter, Julissia Batties.

District Attorney Clark said, “It is alleged that a woman and her teenage son caused the death of her innocent, defenseless seven-year-old daughter, Julissia, in their Bronx home. Further, there are allegations that the child was beaten and sexually abused and denied medical attention. This is a disturbing case of brutality and callousness. A 10-month investigation with the NYPD led to the indictments charging the defendants with Murder. The investigation indicates that there was a failure of care throughout Julissia’s brief life. The signs of her torment were there but not acted on. We send our condolences to Julissia’s father and grandmother, who remain devastated by the loss of this beautiful, little girl.”

According to the investigation, between August 8, 2021 and August 10, 2021, it is alleged that Julissia Batties, 7, was beaten and died while in the care of her mother and half-brother in their apartment in 175 Alexander Avenue.

According to the investigation, Jones called 911 at 8:06 a.m. on August 10, 2021, after being urged by a family member to call 911.

“When first responders arrived, Julissia had no pulse and no vital signs,” the district attorney’s office said. “The child was taken to Lincoln Hospital where she was pronounced dead. According to the investigation, Julissia had suffered injuries at about 5 a.m. on August 10, 2021.”

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determined the child died of homicide caused by blunt force trauma to her abdomen. Examiners concluded she was struck with enough force to cause her internal organs to tear and bleed, filling her abdomen with blood.

Examiners also found multiple bruises visible about the child’s entire face, chin, and back of right ear. There were additional injuries, visible bruises, marks, and scratches on Julissia’s body, including on both wrists, her clavicle, upper thigh and mouth.

According to the investigation, Fine Jr. allegedly sexually abused Julissia. The child had injuries that were consistent with sexual assault. The investigation indicates that those injuries were inflicted after Julissia had already begun to experience symptoms caused by the assaults to her abdomen.