Big Cabin Man Sentenced to 240 Months in Prison for Sexually Abusing and Strangling a Former Dating Partner

2 mins read
FILE PHOTO: The U.S. Department of Justice Building is pictured

A Big Cabin man was sentenced Tuesday for sexually assaulting and strangling a former dating partner, announced U.S. Attorney Clint Johnson.

U.S. District Judge Gina M. Groh sentenced Christopher Michael Guinn, 23, to 240 months in federal prison followed by five years of supervised release.

In January, a jury convicted Guinn for aggravated sexual abuse by force and threat in Indian Country and for assault of an intimate/dating partner by strangling and attempting to strangle in Indian Country.

“Christopher Guinn’s acts of violence against women are reprehensible. In this case, he strangled and sexually assaulted the victim then threatened her and her children if she did not comply with his demands,” said U.S. Attorney Clint Johnson. “A team of law enforcement agencies and Assistant U.S. Attorneys Jessica Wright and Gina Gilmore have put a stop to Guinn’s abusive conduct. This 20-year sentence should serve as a warning that my office will prosecute and hold accountable those who terrorize their intimate partners.”

At trial, the United States alleged that in the early morning hours of March 17, 2019, Guinn sexually assaulted and strangled a former dating partner. During the assault, Guinn held the victim down and grabbed her around the neck. Guinn applied varying degrees of pressure to the victim’s neck and at several points, left the victim gasping for air. The victim testified that Guinn threatened her by saying that if she and her children did not move back in with him, he would find them. He also told her that if she reported the sexual assault, he would come to her mother’s house while the victim was sleeping and rape the victim again. She also believed that Guinn had a gun under the mattress.

After Guinn fell asleep, the victim fled and contacted law enforcement. Deputies with the Mayes County Sheriff’s Office responded and met the victim at the hospital. They documented the victim’s injuries and interviewed her. The Tulsa Police Department conducted a SANE exam.

Breaking News:  Burlington Man Sentenced for Failing to Register as a Sex Offender

The United States further showed Guinn had a history of exerting control over women and sexually assaulting them. Two additional women who previously dated Guinn testified about similar assaults they endured by the defendant. They also testified that Guinn physically abused them and isolated them from friends and family. Both had protective orders against the defendant.

In closing arguments, Assistant U.S. Attorney Gina Gilmore said both the victim and defendant revealed who they were by their actions. She reminded the jury the victim reported the crime, filed for a protective order, and consistently and repeatedly shared details to both state and federal authorities. Gilmore said the defendant also revealed who he was by his history with women. She said the evidence showed Guinn was controlling, isolating, and took what he wanted despite being told “no.”

The FBI’s Oklahoma City Field Office, Mayes County Sheriff’s Office, Tulsa Police Department and Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation conducted the investigation. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Jessica L. Wright and Gina S. Gilmore prosecuted the case.