Armed carjacker shot by police in Middletown after fiery crash

1 min read

HOLMDEL, NJ – A man fleeing police in a stolen car attempted to carjack several drivers after exiting his crashed vehicle that had just burst into flames.

According to police, Justin F. Chacon, 33, with addresses in Old Bridge and Brooklyn, was charged with three counts of first-degree Carjacking and single counts of third-degree Motor Vehicle Theft, third-degree Possession of a Weapon for an Unlawful Purpose, and third-degree Resisting Arrest.

The incident happened on Route 35 early Wednesday morning.

Acting Monmouth County Prosecutor Raymond S. Santiago said shortly after 5:45 a.m. on Wednesday, members of the Holmdel Township Police Department responded to Bayshore Medical Center on a report of a commercial delivery vehicle being stolen out of the hospital parking lot by an adult male.

Later, that vehicle was reported by Middletown police officers as being involved in a crash on Route 35 naer Navesink River Road.

Breaking News:  77-year-old firebug charged for setting multiple dumpster fires in Manchester

Investigators determined Chacon had crashed the stolen commercial delivery vehicle into the highway’s center median and then stole an SUV from a bystander who had pulled over and attempted to offer assistance.

“Then, just before 6:15 a.m. on Wednesday, members of the Holmdel Township Police Department responded to the northbound lanes of Route 35 near the intersection with Centerville Road on a report of a second collision. It was later determined that Chacon had collided with a garbage truck, causing the stolen SUV he was driving to leave the roadway, strike a telephone pole, and burst into flames,” Santiago reported. “After exiting the SUV, while brandishing a pair of wire-cutting pliers, Chacon then attempted to enter a pair of additional vehicles parked on the highway, but was rebuffed by the drivers of each.”

Breaking News:  Ocean County leaders seek to build unity on back of Reina victory, condemn tactics of division

Officers ordered Santiago to comply with their demands to drop the pliers. Instead, he advanced toward the officers. An officer fired a single shot at Chacon and others moved in to make the arrest after a lengthy physical struggle.

He was transported to the hospital where he was reported in stable condition.

Share your thoughts...