Long Island child hospitalized after eating cannabis-laced Halloween gummies

1 min read

SHIRLEY, NY – A Long Island boy was hospitalized after eating cannabis-laced gummies he received during Halloween night trick-or-treating. Police said the Starburst look-alike candies were given out somewhere in the Suffolk County Police Department’s 7th precinct area.

The child was treated at Long Island Community Hospital and released.

Now, Suffolk County Police are reminding parents to check their children’s Halloween candy following an incident during which a 5-year-old Shirley boy was treated at a hospital after eating cannabis-infused gummies received during trick-or-treating.

“The gummies, which were in packaging with similar branding to Starburst candy and clearly labeled as medicated and containing cannabis, were collected by a child trick-or-treating in the southern portion of the Seventh Precinct,” police said today. “The re-sealable package had been previously opened but the packaging did not appear tampered with.”

No other incidents were reported at this time.