Climate Change Didn’t Start This Year’s Deadly California Wildfire, a Guy From Florida Did

Florida man charged with sparking massive Palisades Fire that devastated Los Angeles

LOS ANGELES, CA – A Florida man who once lived in Pacific Palisades has been arrested and charged with starting what became one of Los Angeles’ most destructive wildfires, according to federal prosecutors.

Jonathan Rinderknecht, 29, also known as “Jon Rinder,” was taken into custody Tuesday in Melbourne, Florida.

He faces a federal charge of destruction of property by means of fire after investigators determined he deliberately set the blaze that ultimately grew into the January Palisades Fire.

Officials say Rinderknecht’s actions triggered a chain of events that led to widespread devastation across the Pacific Palisades area and caused multiple deaths.

Investigators trace fire to New Year’s Day spark

According to court documents, authorities linked the Palisades Fire to a smaller blaze known as the Lachman Fire, which began just after midnight on New Year’s Day. Although firefighters quickly extinguished that initial fire, it continued to smolder underground until strong winds reignited it on January 7, spreading rapidly through the coastal hillsides.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office said investigators used cellphone data, surveillance footage, witness accounts, and fire-pattern analysis to determine that Rinderknecht had set the Lachman Fire on federally funded land owned by the Mountains Recreation and Conservation Authority.

Behavior before the fire raised suspicions

Rinderknecht, who was working as an Uber driver on New Year’s Eve, reportedly appeared angry and agitated during his final rides before the fire started. After dropping off a passenger in Pacific Palisades, he drove to the Skull Rock Trailhead, attempted to contact a former friend, and was seen recording videos on his phone while listening to music that referenced fire.

Investigators say that at 12:12 a.m., environmental sensors detected the start of the Lachman Fire. Within minutes, Rinderknecht made several failed 911 calls before finally reaching emergency services from a lower elevation.

Data contradicted his story

Geolocation data later revealed that Rinderknecht was standing just 30 feet from the fire’s point of origin when it began—contradicting his statements to law enforcement weeks later that he had been far from the blaze. He also returned to the scene to film firefighters battling the flames, according to the affidavit.

If convicted, Rinderknecht faces a mandatory minimum of five years and up to 20 years in federal prison.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives led the investigation with assistance from the Los Angeles Police Department and the U.S. Forest Service.

Federal prosecutors said the case aims to bring justice to victims of the deadly fire that tore through one of Los Angeles’ most exclusive neighborhoods.