Beachwood, N.J. — A municipal judge dismissed a simple assault charge Tuesday against retired U.S. Army Master Sgt. Dan Leonard after prosecutors reviewed video evidence tied to a confrontation outside Leonard’s Beachwood home.
The case stemmed from a dispute involving Christopher Lyle of Jersey Coast Emergency News, who admitted driving roughly 45 minutes to Leonard’s residence to confront him. Security footage reviewed in court reportedly showed Lyle approaching Leonard at the front door before the encounter turned physical and ended with Leonard pinning Lyle face down in the snow until Beachwood police officers arrived.
Judge James Gluck ordered the charge dismissed and granted an expedited expungement after prosecutors determined there was insufficient evidence to support the complaint filed by Lyle.
Prosecutor Dismissed Citizen Complaint After Evidence Review
Court transcripts show the assault complaint against Leonard originated as a citizen-filed charge submitted by Lyle rather than by the Beachwood Police Department.
Judge Gluck explained during Tuesday’s hearing that the court initially approved probable cause based only on Lyle’s sworn affidavit because no additional evidence had yet been reviewed at that stage of the process.
Breaking now, New Jersey Special Education Chief Under Fire After Skipping Hearing as Parents, Lawmakers Demand Answers.

“The prosecutor, I understand it, has reviewed the evidence in this matter and at this point is dismissing the charge as there is insufficient evidence to substantiate the charge,” Gluck said during the hearing.
The judge clarified that the original probable cause determination did not represent a finding of guilt but simply allowed the complaint process to continue pending review.
Leonard’s attorney, Gina Marie Izzo, appearing on behalf of attorney Michael P. McGuire, confirmed in court that another complaint connected to the same incident had also been filed but remained under review by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office.
Key Points
• A Beachwood judge dismissed a simple assault complaint filed against retired Army Master Sgt. Dan Leonard
• Prosecutors cited insufficient evidence after reviewing security video from the confrontation
• Christopher Lyle later left the courthouse in an ambulance before answering separate trespass charges
Video Became Central Piece of Evidence
According to Leonard, the confrontation began when Lyle traveled to his property to confront him over an ongoing dispute involving Jersey Coast Emergency News and Leonard’s Garden State Confidential Facebook group. Lyle, on video, claimed Leonard made a post, which Leonard said he did not make.
Also happening, Queens man accused of killing half brother inside packed sports bar indicted for murder.
Leonard’s home security system captured the incident, showing Lyle approaching aggressively before the altercation escalated. The footage showed Leonard restraining Lyle in the snow outside the home until officers arrived after the elder Leonard landed several punches after being attacked by Lyle.
Lyle had separately been charged with criminal trespass tied to the same incident. Before the hearing proceeded on Tuesday, Lyle was removed from the courthouse in an ambulance. Officials have not publicly disclosed what medical issue prompted the response, but Leonard claimed Lyle had pre-planned that medivac to evade his own charges. Lyle did not respond to that claim.
Leonard later claimed during a video statement posted to his Garden State Confidential Facebook group that he had received information earlier in the day suggesting Lyle intended to seek repeated postponements of the case for medical or disability-related reasons. No official confirmation supporting that claim has been released.
Judge Explains Probable Cause Process
During the hearing, Gluck emphasized that municipal court judges reviewing citizen complaints initially examine only the sworn allegations presented in filings when deciding whether probable cause exists.
“The court only had that certification and affidavit to make its determination of probable cause,” Gluck said.
New this morning, Terrifying Bronx shooting leaves 5 year old injured.
The judge further noted that another complaint reportedly filed against Leonard, alleging terroristic threats, had not yet advanced because it remained under review by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office.
“So that complaint has been signed, but that complaint has not been submitted for probable cause,” Gluck said in court. “It is at the county prosecutor’s office.”
The judge added that the charge was “not a viable charge at this point.”
Leonard Responds After Dismissal
Following the hearing, Leonard released a video thanking supporters, his attorney, and the court after the dismissal and expungement order.
“Charges were dropped. Immediate expungement,” Leonard said in the recording. “Thank you to everybody who supported me over the last couple of weeks.”
Leonard also addressed the judge’s explanation regarding probable cause findings, saying he now better understood that the process does not represent a determination of guilt.
The retired Army veteran additionally discussed Lyle’s ambulance departure from the courthouse but said he did not know what medical issue occurred.
You can watch Leonard’s full video here.
As of Wednesday, the simple assault complaint against Leonard had been dismissed with expedited expungement ordered, while the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office continued reviewing at least one additional complaint connected to the same confrontation; those charges are not likely to be carried by the Prosecutor’s Office. Lyle still has outstanding court hearings reagarding the criminal trespass charge and an incident earlier this year in Manchester regarding a domestic incident, according to the Manchester Police Department.
The Manchester Police Department has refused to comment on Lyle’s charges there, citing domestic violence victim protections. His wife was the alleged victim. In that incident, Lyle allegedly said he was also heading to Beachwood to confront Leonard, and firearms were involved, reportedly.
Now trending, Lakewood father sentenced to 25 years in death of infant daughter.