WATCH: Cop frees unbearably cute cub from backyard net

A post shared by Ringwood PBA, Local #247 (@ringwoodpba247) on Jun 27, 2017 at 1:56pm PDT RINGWOOD – A police detective on Tuesday saved a large bear cub entangled in a sports net. Ringwood Detective Joe Longo used a folding knife to cut open the net, which appeared to be from a baseball batting cage. After…

6 indicted on charges in deadly Atlantic City Expressway shootout

MAYS LANDING — A half-dozen men have been indicted on multiple charges in the past week for their alleged involvement in a gunfight that broke out while the suspects were traveling on the Atlantic City Expressway last year, leaving one person dead, the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office said in a statement Tuesday. On Aug. 29, at…

Football: Long-time Donovan Catholic assistant Greg Hyslop hired as Trenton football coach

TRENTON — It was a great first impression. Last week, while touring the practice facilities, Greg Hyslop stumbled upon two dozen Trenton High football players working out on their own. “There were no coaches, but they were out there working by themselves,” said Hyslop, who was named the Trenton football coach Tuesday night. “They came right…

Judge refuses to close Jersey Shore beach where 3 drowned, report says

NORTH WILDWOOD — A judge is refusing to close a stretch of beach that over the years has left three people dead from sand giving way beneath their feet, reports say. Superior Court Judge Julio Mendez issued a ruling on Monday declining to close the Hereford Inlet beach — something that had been requested by the…

Big shot jeweler helped cover up killing of man found buried in N.J., suit says

The father of a Connecticut man found stabbed to death in Oceanport in November has sued a prominent jeweler alleging he helped cover up the crime, according to NYPost.com. Pat Comunale filed a lawsuit against James Rackover, accusing the 57-year-old of “intentional infliction of emotional distress,” and that Comunale’s family suffered “mental and physical anguish” over…

3 more Lakewood houses raided in multi-million dollar welfare fraud scheme

LAKEWOOD — Authorities raided three houses in Lakewood Tuesday night in a continued effort to crack down on residents who defraud government-assistance programs, according to APP.com. The arrests come on the heels of a massive bust on Monday morning that led to the arrests of eight Lakewood residents — four married couples — who allegedly bilked…

Six More Arrested for Defrauding Federal Programs in Lakewood

by Al Della Fave, OCPO

LAKEWOOD-Ocean County Prosecutor Joseph D. Coronato and State Comptroller Philip James Degnan announced today additional ongoing arrests within Lakewood, New Jersey by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office for defrauding Medicaid and government assistance programs.  The investigations initiated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Red Bank Office and the  New Jersey Office of the State Comptroller – Medicaid Fraud Division, were expanded to include the US Social Security Administration, New Jersey Department of the Treasury – Office of Criminal Investigation, and the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office – Economic Crimes Unit.  The arrests made just before midnight (6/27), include charges of individuals collecting illegal benefits in the six-figure range.

OCPO detectives/prosecutors, along with its collaborating agencies, continued Monday’s operation by arresting the following three married couples.  Hearings are scheduled for 1:30 pm today (6/28) at Ocean County Superior Court.

  • Yitzchock, 33, and Sora, 39, Kanarek of Brisk Lane – charged with 2nd Degree Theft by Deception for wrongfully collecting approximately $339,002.56 in Medicaid, SNAP, HUD, and SSI benefits between January 2009 and July 2014.
  • Chaim, 40, and Liatt, 39, Ehrman of Twin Oaks Drive – charged with 2nd Degree Theft by Deception for wrongfully collecting approximately $185,692.22 in Medicaid, SNAP, HEAP, and Sandy benefits between January 2011 and December 2015
  • William, 45, and Faigy, 40, Friedman of Leigh Drive – charged with 2nd Degree Theft by Deception for wrongfully collecting approximately $149,842.28 in Medicaid, SNAP, HEAP, and HUDbenefits between January 2011 and December 2015.

The nature of the criminal events investigated and basic charges allege that the defendants misrepresented their income, declaring amounts that were low enough to receive the program’s benefits, when in fact their income was too high to qualify.  The investigations revealed that the defendants’ received income from numerous sources that they failed to disclose on required program applications.  As a result, they received benefits that they were not entitled to under these programs for themselves or family members.  The Ocean County Prosecutors Office is prosecuting the above arrested individuals at the state level.

The investigation by all the participating agencies is continuing and additional arrests are forthcoming.  OCPO and our prosecuting partners may add additional relevant charges (ie. Tax charges) as each case proceeds through the legal process.  Anyone with any information is asked to contact Sergeant Mark Malinowski of the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office at (732) 929-2027.

.

Freeholder: Democrats' School Funding Bill Hurts Sandy Stricken Communities

From the Desk of Freeholder Joseph Vicari

TOMS RIVER- Ocean County Freeholder Director Joseph H. Vicari is calling upon state leaders to produce a funding formula for school aid that is fair to every school district and every taxpayer.

In a letter to Gov. Christie, Vicari stated that under a new school funding proposal by State Senate President Steve Sweeney and Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto, Ocean County schools would see a decrease in state funding totaling almost $6.8 million.

“That is too great of a loss for districts still trying to recover from the losses of Superstorm Sandy,” Vicari said. “We have to do better. I know we can do better.”

“As a longtime educator and school administrator I can say without hesitation that this formula is not fair when you are cutting aid from school districts that have worked so hard to come back from a devastating storm and at the same time made every effort to minimize the burden on taxpayers,” Vicari wrote to the Governor.

Vicari noted the County was joining with 10th District Legislators in opposing the new formula and demanding a school aid formula be produced that is fair to all taxpayers.

“Ocean County is tired of watching its tax dollars leave the County in order to fund failing programs elsewhere in the state of New Jersey,” he said.

Vicari said that under the Sweeney/Prieto school funding proposal, the Toms River Regional School District would see its state aid slashed by $3.3 million and Brick Township would lose nearly $2.2 million.

“These cuts would be catastrophic affecting essential programs and staff,” Vicari said.

Other local school districts, including Lakehurst, Seaside Heights, Lavallette, Little Egg Harbor Township, Pinelands Regional and Island Heights would lose funding as well. All totaled, the loss would be almost $6.8 million.

“It is hard to believe that Mr. Sweeney and Mr. Prieto have already forgotten about the devastation caused by Superstorm Sandy in October 2012 and that Ocean County is still reeling financially from its blow,” Vicari wrote. “Toms River Township and Brick Township like all of the affected towns in Ocean County are beginning to see progress nearly five years after the storm, but the recovery is slow.

“This funding formula creates an even greater financial burden on Ocean County taxpayers while being touted as a “fair” formula,” he said.

11 Year Old Girl Electrocuted by Boat Lift in Toms River

Toms River Police reported that an 11 year old girl passed away at Community Medical Center after suffering from an electrical shock while swimming

On June 17th at 8:12 pm a 911 call was placed reporting the possible electrocution of a young girl. Within minutes Police and Toms River EMS units arrived at 45 Tobago Avenue and took over CPR that was begun buy adults who were at the home. The first responders utilized an Automated External Defibrillator, AED, and transported the child to Community Medical Center in Toms River where she passed away later in the evening.

The incident is under investigation by Toms River Police Detectives Louis Santora and James Carey. Also participating are Ocean County Prosecutors Office Detective Woodfield and Ocean County Sheriff’s Department C.S.I. Sergeant Deleeuw and Officer Menke. Initial reports are that the child and her 2 friends were using an inflatable raft and swimming in the lagoon behind the home. The girls were wearing lifejackets and in the presence of adults. Two of the girls touched the rail to a metal boat lift and electric current appears to have energized the equipment causing the injury. The child is a resident of Newark NJ and was visiting friends at the Tobago Avenue address. The two other juvenile girls that accompanied her were evaluated at the scene and determined to not be injured.

Jackson Police Thwart Drunken New Yorker's Escapades at Great Adventure

JACKSON-On Monday June 12, 2017 at approximately 11:15 am while working a detail at Six Flags Great Adventure, Police Officer Michael Kelly was requested to an unknown incident near the main gate.

Officer Kelly, who is also one of the agency’s certified Drug Recognition Experts (DRE), arrived at the scene and observed that park security was dealing with two males and one female who were displaying signs of intoxication. As the officer approached the three subjects, he also detected the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from them. The three subjects then reportedly became uncooperative upon the officer’s arrival and an additional officer was requested to respond. As the officer attempted to speak with them further, one of the males made statements that he was going to go to his car to drive home and refused to comply with any of the officer’s directions to stop.

Officer Frank Cipully arrived on scene and as the officers attempted to stop the male attempting to leave the area, the second male became uncooperative also and the female was observed attempting to throw a small plastic baggie containing a white powder into a trash can, which missed the can and landed on the ground near it.

The officers then went to place the first male under arrest and he then reportedly became aggressive, pushing the officers and flailing his arms at them. Multiple other officers from across the township began to respond as the officers struggled to place the male under arrest. The male was ultimately secured and placed under arrest along with the other male and female. The small plastic baggie which the female was observed attempting to discard in the trash can was recovered and observed to contain suspected cocaine.

Arrested:

Mark Shifrin, age 27 of Brooklyn, NY. He was charged with disorderly conduct and released on summons pending a court appearance.

Yevgeniya Kozlova, age 27 of Brooklyn, NY. She was charged with disorderly conduct and possession of a controlled dangerous substance. She was released on summons pending a court appearance.

Anthony Perez Jr., age 27 of Brooklyn, NY. He was charged with disorderly conduct, hindering apprehension, resisting arrest and aggravated assault on a police officer. It was also discovered that there was an outstanding warrant for his arrest out of Galloway, NJ. He was treated and released from an area hospital for complaints of pain from the incident and then lodged in the Ocean County Jail.

After the incident, Officer Kelly was treated by Quality First Aid for minor injuries received in the incident and Officer Cipully was treated at a local hospital for a shoulder injury.

– The media and the public are reminded that any persons arrested or charged with any offenses or crimes are presumed innocent until proven guilty in court.

Edison cop charged with assaulting officer at Jersey Shore

EDISON — An Edison cop was arrested Sunday in Belmar on charges he assaulted an officer and resisted arrest, according to court records. Dmitry Smolkin, who joined the force in December 2015, is scheduled to appear before Municipal Judge Dennis Lavender Wednesday morning in Belmar on the charges, municipal court officials said Wednesday morning. Edison Police…

'I'm a good driver,' says speeder busted at 139 mph

DUMONT – A borough man jailed overnight in Maine for traveling nearly twice the 70 mph speed limit said Thursday he found the long, quiet stretch of highway a good place to speed. “There was no one around – the road was very straight, very tempting,” said Sang Yook, 64, who was arrested June 6 for…

Where Are You Most Likely to Die in Natural Disaster in America?

Short answer: it’s complicated. Flooding near Houston, Texas, in April 2016. Tom Pistillo/USGS The United States is an enormous country, spanning mountains, deserts, forests, prairie, tundra, and more. This varied terrain is also home to many natural hazards spawned by air, water, fire, and forces beneath the Earth’s surface. Some of these threats are dramatic; the…

Jersey Shore town's World War I statute damaged by vandals

BELMAR — An 83-year-old World War I statue has been vandalized, according to Belmar Mayor Matt Doherty. Someone tried to break the soldier’s rifle, which damaged the scabbard and loosened the statue from its pedestal. It’s not known when the “Spirit of the American Doughboy” was damaged. The Belmar Historical Society plans to raise money to…

Woman tried to roll 27 pounds of cocaine through JFK, feds say

NEW YORK — A 33-year-old woman had 27 pounds of cocaine hidden in her wheelchair when she went through customs at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Sunday, authorities said. Yoncela Stanley, of Griffin, Ga., faces federal narcotics smuggling charges after inspectors noticed something unusual about the rear cushion of her wheelchair, U.S. Customs and Border…

Passing Driver Saves Brothers from Burning Home in Brick Township

BRICK TOWNSHIP – A motorist who spotted flames coming from a Montclair Drive home early Wednesday morning is being credited for rescuing a pair of brothers from the blaze that severely damaged their home. At approximately 12:40 a.m. on Wednesday, a unidentified neighbor who was out for a walk in the area of Montclair Drive and…

Jersey Shore town spikes proposal to extend boardwalk music hours

SEA ISLE CITY — A popular Cape May County beach town has voted against extending hours for music performances on its boardwalk, according to a report. A proposal to let music continue on the weekends until 10 p.m., instead of 9 p.m. failed to gain support, Councilwoman Mary Tighe told the Press of Atlantic City. Bridge…

Possible Idiot Fistpumping Outside Car Window Video Goes Viral

EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP — Motorists on the Atlantic City Expressway must have done a double-take on Wednesday when they saw a young man hanging from a speeding luxury car by one arm. A video recorded by another driver and shared with 6abc.com shows the shirtless daredevil dangling by one arm from the roof on the driver’s…

Russia Claims Death of ISIS Leader Al-Baghdadi

Russia has claimed killing the leader of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in an air strike targeting a meeting of ISIL leaders just outside the group’s de-facto capital in Syria. The Russian defence ministry said it was checking claims that ISIL leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was killed in a Russian strike in May…