ASBURY PARK, NJ – As of June 15th, the Asbury Park beaches are open 7 days a week and a beach badge is required. Currently, season beach badge sales are closed. No more Season Beach Badges will be sold until further notice.
“We are hopeful that we will be able to release additional Season Badges later in the season as we continue to monitor and assess our beachfront,” the city said.
A limited number of daily beach passes will be available for purchase exclusively through the Viply mobile app each day starting at 6:30pm, for the following day only, and will be available until quantities sell out. See below for more information.
“We suggest checking the Viply app to see if daily passes are sold out before heading to the beach,” the city warns visitors.
While COVID-19 restrictions are in place on the Boardwalk, Please keep moving – no stopping or standing is permitted; Social distancing is required; Please wear a face covering/masks when on the Boardwalk; and in addition, no chairs, towels/blankets are permitted on the Boardwalk.
“Asbury Park Boardwalk and Beaches will be open as of Memorial Day weekend. We know our residents are looking forward to summer. And, Asbury Park has always welcomed visitors—we know how much they help our economy,” said Mayor John Moor, “That said, this is not a normal summer season. We are in the middle of a pandemic, and we need to be smart. We are going to have to limit numbers, practice social distancing, wear face coverings and masks, and make the experience as contactless as possible for the safety of beach visitors and our staff. Our goal is to keep our residents and visitors safe and keep our boardwalk and beaches open. We thank everyone for their continued efforts and cooperation in helping to make 2020 a healthy and enjoyable summer for all.”
2020 Summer Beach Season
The 2020 beach season is from Memorial Day Weekend (Saturday, May 23) through at least Labor Day Weekend (Monday, September 7). Additional September weekends may be added after Labor Day, depending on weather and water conditions.
- Monday to Friday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Weekends and Holidays: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
During these hours there will be lifeguards on duty, and buoys and ropes marking off the areas for swimming. Keep an eye out for the safe conditions flag: if the water is rough, follow lifeguard instructions to leave the water. Please do not swim when lifeguards are not on duty.
Asbury Park Boardwalk
- The Boardwalk is set up for one-way travel in each direction. Pedestrians will be asked to stay to the right when walking. Please follow signage and markings on the Boardwalk. Please keep moving, no stopping or standing is permitted on Boardwalk.
- Social distancing will be required on the Boardwalk.
- Benches will be removed from the Boardwalk until further notice.
- No chairs, towels/blankets etc are permitted on the Boardwalk.
- Please wear face coverings or masks (except in the cases where doing so would inhibit that individual’s health or where the individual is under two years of age) when: Walking on the Boardwalk; Entering or exiting the beach on beach entry ramps; Using restroom facilities. Face coverings/masks do not need to be worn when swimming or sunbathing
- Asbury Park Convention Hall will remain closed until further notice, however the restrooms will be accessible to the public from the beach side entrance.
- City ordinance prohibits dogs on the Boardwalk from May 16 to September 14.
- City ordinance prohibits bicycles on the Boardwalk between 10am and midnight.
- City ordinance prohibits skates, rollerblades, skateboards, and scooters (except handicap vehicles) on the Boardwalk at all times.
2020 Beach Season Policies
To provide a safe and healthy environment for beach visitors during the COVID-19 pandemic, and comply with the latest State and Federal guidance, the City has developed an opening plan resulting from a culmination of efforts by City Council, the Beach Office, the Department of Public Works, the Office of Emergency Management and the Asbury Park Police Department. The City will evaluate the beach program daily throughout the 2020 Season and make safety adjustments as needed.
Social distancing will be required on the beach – groups of beach patrons (families, household members, caretakers, couples) must sit at least six (6) feet apart from others.
Please wear face coverings or masks when walking on the Boardwalk, entering or exiting the beach on beach entry ramps, and using the restroom facilities. Face coverings or masks do not need to be worn when swimming or sunbathing.
Overall beach capacity will be controlled for the 2020 Season due to the COVID-19 pandemic by limiting the number of beach passes sold. Individual areas of the beach will be monitored daily and beach entry points may be closed to ensure proper social distancing.
2020 Beach Entry Ramps
Access to the beach will be available at the following beach entrances for the 2020 Season:
Asbury Park Casino, First Avenue, Second Avenue, Third Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Sixth Avenue, Seventh Avenue
Due to ongoing construction of the north end of the Asbury Park Boardwalk, the following beach entrances will be closed until further notice: Eighth Avenue, Deal Lake Drive
2020 Beach Pass Rates
To access the beach, beach passes (badges or wristbands) must be worn at all times and will be checked on your way onto the sand. Beach passes will be required to access Asbury Park beaches beginning Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 9am and will be required through at least the Monday of Labor Day Weekend. Please note: Beach passes are not required on weekdays from May 26, 2020 through June 12, 2020. Beach passes will be required on weekdays starting June 15, 2020.
All sales for beach passes for the 2020 Season will be done exclusively through the Viply mobile app (www.viplypass.com/asburypark). For the 2020 Season all beach pass purchases will be cashless.
Daily Beach Passes
- A limited number of daily beach passes will be available for purchase exclusively through Viply each day at 6:30pm, for the following day only, and will be available until quantities sell out.
- Daily beach passes can only be used for the day they are purchased.
- Each app user is permitted to purchase a maximum of four (4) daily beach passes each day.
- For any Viply purchases of daily passes, you do not need to go to the Beach Office or Beach Booth, go directly to any beach entry point and simply scan in your app with the beach badge checker who will give you a wristband that is valid for the day.
- Daily pass holders will always have access to the beach, though there may be times where specific entries points are closed in order to ensure proper social distancing.
- A small quantity of daily passes will be available for sale each day in-person at the Beach Office starting at 9am to accommodate those who can’t access a mobile device to purchase through the Viply app. Passes will be sold on a first-come/first-sold basis until sold out. All transactions will be by credit card only. No cash will be accepted.
- 2020 Season daily rates: Monday to Friday: $5; Weekends and Holidays: $7
- Children under 12 are free and do not need a beach pass to access the beach, but must be supervised by an adult.
- No refunds for daily passes will be given for any reason, including weather or beach closures.
Seasonal Beach Badges
- The number of seasonal beach badges sold for the 2020 Season will be limited. Season beach badge sales are currently closed. We are hopeful that we will be able to release additional Season Badges later in the season as we continue to monitor and assess our beachfront.
- No refunds for season badges will be given for any reason, including weather or beach closures. Beach badge fees cannot be prorated for badges bought later in the 2020 Season.
- Season badge holders will always have access to the beach, though there may be times where specific entries points are closed in order to ensure proper social distancing.
- For those that have purchased their Season Badge through Viply, they can be picked up at the Beach Office located at First Avenue on the Boardwalk during Beach Office Hours.