LAS CRUCES, NM – A fire that broke out in a mobile home in Las Cruces could have been worse police said even though the trailer was mostly destroyed in the fire.
“A fire that destroyed a mobile home and displaced a family Saturday could have been much worse had the occupants remained asleep just a while longer,” the department said.
About 8 p.m. Saturday, March 13, Las Cruces fire and police were dispatched to a residential structure fire at the mobile home park at 100 Idaho Ave. The first officer to arrive reported fire and smoke showing from the mobile home. The only two occupants of the home self-evacuated.
Las Cruces Police issued the following statement:
Firefighters extinguished the fire within 15 minutes and contained damage to just one home. Unfortunately, the fire destroyed most of the home and its contents. One occupant of the home was assessed for smoke inhalation but did not require hospitalization. The two occupants were displaced due to extensive fire and smoke damage throughout the home.
Fire Investigators learned the occupants were using a kitchen stove to heat the mobile home and fell asleep with it on. By chance, the occupants heard a loud sound that startled them awake and allowed them enough time to safely evacuate the residence.
Fire investigators found no working smoke detectors in the home.
LCFD’s Fire Prevention staff reminds residents to have and maintain working smoke detectors in the home. It is best to have a working smoke detector in each bedroom and in each living area.
The Las Cruces Fire Department also reminds residents that space heaters must be kept a safe distance away from combustible materials that can easily catch fire. LCFD discourages the use of stoves, ovens and open flames as heating sources as they can easily catch nearby combustibles on fire.
The incident is under investigation.