JACKSON, NJ – It’s almost that time of the year at the Jersey Shore, when you store your winter clothes and bring out the summer attire for the beach, fishing, camping, and of course the theme parks. This year will be different as COVID-19 restrictions ease and life gets back to normal.
Things are getting back to normal at one of the world’s best rollercoaster theme parks, Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson.
According to Kristin Fitzgerald, Six Flags Great Adventure will celebrate the largest array of improvements in the parks’ nearly 50-year history, featuring robust enhancements to the guest experience including new dining, rides, events and animal experiences. You might have seen a few of them if you looked closely as you drove through the park’s Holidays in the Park drive-through last year.
“Six Flags’ investment will feature beautification and modernization efforts throughout the world-class theme park and Wild Safari. Details include increased capacity and streamlined operations in rides, food service, and admissions; new theming and reintroduction of several popular rides for daredevils and junior thrill seekers; aesthetic and comfort enhancements in both parks; the debut of popular food brands and new dining options; a major summer event and more guest amenities,” Fitzgerald said.
“Our largest range of enhancements in nearly five decades will focus on improving our guests’ experience through technology, innovation, and renovation,” said Park President John Winkler. “As the Northeast’s premier family entertainment destination, we’re laser-focused on providing incredible guest service in a beautiful, modern, and state-of-the art environment.”
Here’s what’s new in 2022 at Great Adventure
- Jr. Thrillseekers – Great Adventure will complete the two-year renovation of this action-packed section. Formerly Safari Kids, the park’s largest family area will offer eight rides, all perfect for parents to enjoy with their little ones, like Lil’ Devil Coaster—the kiddie counterpart to Jersey Devil Coaster—and Barnstormer, returning for 2022. The section will also feature shopping, dining, and new, shaded seating;
- The Return of Medusa – Thrill seekers will delight in the return of the snake-haired Gorgon to Frontier Adventures—a seven-looping beast unveiled in 1999 as the world’s first floorless, top-rail roller coaster, Medusa. The ride was re-branded to BIZARRO™ 10 years later, but will return in its original form with a new color palette, logo, and Gold Rush-era backstory;
- Single Rider Lines – To shorten wait times by filling in every available seat, single rider lines enable rides to operate with the maximum number of guests. This feature will be added to Jersey Devil Coaster, El Toro, Nitro and Medusa;
- Q SMART Technology – To improve the guest experience through enhanced ride line speed and efficiency, Six Flags will transition its’ THE FLASH™ Pass Q-bot to mobile Q SMART technology. From the convenience of a mobile phone and the ease of an app, with the touch of a button guests will be able to maximize their time in the park, spending less time waiting in line and more time enjoying rides, dining, shopping, and entertainment;
- Enhanced Mobile App – A new mobile app feature that allows guests to add their pass to their Google Pay Wallet or Apple Wallet will expedite the front gate experience and reduce wait time;
- “Wow” Moments – In 2022, more emphasis will be placed on creating “Wow” moments through fun and memorable guest interactions, beautiful landscaping views, additional seating for relaxation, and a massive, new marquee on Rt. 537;
- Restaurant Makeovers – Two of the park’s largest indoor restaurants, Yum Yum Café and Granny’s, will reopen with an entirely new interior look. New floors, décor, menu boards, and traffic flow will enhance the dining experience;
- Fatburger® – Since 1952, Fatburger has been serving delicious, made-to-order food. Now with more than 200 locations worldwide, Fatburger will deliver hot and fresh treats like juicy burgers, creamy milkshakes, and crispy onion rings to guests in Adventure Alley;
- New Dining Options – The park will expand its culinary options with freshly roasted rotisserie chicken added to the menu at Granny’s, freshly-brewed coffee creations at Sweet Treats, proudly serving Starbucks® and many additional high quality offerings;
- Family Restroom – To better accommodate the needs of all guests, the theme park will introduce two new family restrooms to the Adventure Alley section;
- Volta Electric Vehicle Charging Stations – Compatible with all electric vehicles, units will be available in the theme park, water park and safari parking lots;
- New Pavilions – The park’s high-tech, touchless security screening entry area and the popular Johnny Rocket’s outdoor dining patio will sport new wooden pavilion shade coverings;
- Summer Vibes Festival – As sun-kissed dreams come to life, guests will drench themselves in a kaleidoscope of color at this new, summer festival, which will run July 16 to August 14. Mouth-watering treats, beat-the-heat beverages, bold, eye-popping spectacles, live entertainment, and colorful curiosities will immerse guests in the reverie of summer;
- New Animal Adventures – The Wild Safari’s animal care team welcomes three new giraffe calves, a new male rhinoceros, and an array of spring babies. The Wild Safari Drive-Thru Adventure will feature an entirely new audio tour guests can stream from any mobile device and an expanded, three-lane roadway with five newly paved miles;
- New ‘Giraffe Encounter’ Safari VIP Tour – Great Adventure theme park will launch a new safari VIP experience, the Giraffe Encounter Tour. This off-road adventure on military-style, open-air trucks will feature an informative and engaging tour guide through seven sections of the Wild Safari and the opportunity to hand-feed giraffes at Wild Safari’s Camp Aventura. Tour guests can also meet small exotic animals up-close. Tour tickets may be purchased in advance or at the park; and
- BATMAN™ The Ride – The epic, floorless, chairlift-style BATMAN The Ride will return with a bold, shiny coat of paint. This five-looping scream machine continues to rank as a fan favorite as it approaches its 30th birthday.