Jackson Driver Who Fled Fatal Christmas Eve Crash Gets 7 Years in Prison

2 mins read

JACKSON TOWNSHIP, NJ – A 28-year-old Jackson man has been sentenced to 7 years in prison for fleeing the scene of a fatal crash on Christmas Eve. Ocean County Prosecutor Bradley D. Billhimer announced Roberto Alcazar-Sanchez had pled guilty to his charges before Judge Ryan on February 24th and was sentenced on Friday.

According to the Jackson Police Department, on December 24, 2020, at approximately 6:00 p.m., officers were dispatched to the area of Cedar Swap Road and I-195 for a report of a motor vehicle crash with serious injuries.

“An investigation by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Vehicular Homicide Unit and Jackson Township Police Department revealed that a 2010 Mercedes Benz, driven by Norman Shtab, 83, of Howell Township, was exiting I-195 at Exit 21. His wife, Phyllis Shtab, 81, also of Howell, was a passenger in the vehicle. As Mr. Shtab was attempting to make a left-hand turn onto Cedar Swap Road, his vehicle collided with a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado,” the Jackson Police Department reported at the time of the crash. “Mr. and Mrs. Shtab were transported to Jersey Shore Medical Center in Neptune Township following the crash. Mr. Shtab was treated for his injuries and later released. On December 26, 2020, Mrs. Shtab succumbed to the injuries she sustained as a result of the crash, and was pronounced deceased at Jersey Shore Medical Center on that date.”

Breaking News
Two Dead In Germantown Shooting that Took Life of 16-Year-Old

According to Prosecutor Billhimer, on December 30, 2020, a warrant was issued for the arrest of the driver of the Chevrolet Silverado – identified through continuing investigation to be Alcazar-Sanchez – who fled the scene of the December 24, 2020 crash on foot. Further investigation revealed that Alcazar-Sanchez then fled the United States and traveled to Mexico. On March 3, 2021, Alcazar-Sanchez surrendered himself to United States Customs and Border Patrol Protection Agents in Laredo, Texas. He was ultimately extradited back to Ocean County, and has remained lodged in the Ocean County Jail since his return on March 31, 2021.