Cyberattack disrupts over 1,200 Pennsylvania OAG at home offices

Using computer to commit a crime in darkness.

Attorney general says OAG operations recovering after cyber attack encrypted files

HARRISBURG, PA – Attorney General Dave Sunday announced Friday that the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General (OAG) has made “substantial progress” in restoring services following a cyber incident earlier this month that temporarily knocked out its servers.

According to Sunday, the disruption was caused when an outside actor encrypted agency files in an effort to force a ransom payment. The OAG has not paid any money, and the attack remains under active investigation with assistance from other agencies. Officials declined to release further details while the probe continues.

The incident temporarily disrupted communications, but Sunday said the majority of OAG’s approximately 1,200 staff across 17 offices are now back online with email access. The main phone line and website are also operational, allowing staff to continue their work through alternative channels where necessary.

Related News: Philadelphia man convicted of plotting to murder NJ prosecutors and judges from prison

Courts have issued limited extensions in some criminal and civil matters in response to the disruption. However, officials stressed they do not expect prosecutions, investigations, or civil cases to be negatively affected as a result of the cyber incident.

Sunday added that the OAG will continue to provide public updates and, if needed, notify individuals affected by the breach. He also said the office is working to help other state agencies strengthen defenses against similar attacks.


Key Points

  • A cyber attack encrypted Pennsylvania OAG files in an attempt to force a ransom payment.
  • The office has restored email, phones, and its website for most staff, who continue daily duties.
  • Officials say prosecutions and civil cases should not be impacted by the disruption.
Related News: Wilkes-Barre thief swipes air compressor in home burglary

A cyber strike on the state’s top law office has slowed operations but not stopped them.

Scroll to Top