BOSTON, MA — In one of the largest immigration enforcement operations in recent history, federal agents apprehended more than 1,400 illegal aliens across Massachusetts during a month-long crackdown on transnational crime and violent offenders.
Dubbed Operation Patriot 2.0, the joint initiative united ICE’s Enforcement and Removal Operations and Homeland Security Investigations with the FBI, DEA, U.S. Marshals, ATF, CBP, and other federal partners.
The coordinated effort, which ran from Sept. 4 to Sept. 30, targeted individuals tied to organized crime, gangs, and serious criminal offenses — leading to arrests spanning every corner of the Commonwealth.
Key Points
- ICE and federal partners arrested 1,406 illegal aliens during Operation Patriot 2.0.
- Over 600 detainees had prior convictions or pending charges for serious crimes.
- Several suspects were linked to gangs including MS-13, Trinitarios, and 18th Street.
Federal agencies unite in massive enforcement sweep
Acting ICE Director Todd Lyons said the results underscore the dangers of sanctuary city policies, noting that many of those arrested had previously been released by local authorities despite active detainer requests. “Every illegal alien we arrested during the operation was breaking U.S. immigration law, and hundreds were violent criminals,” Lyons said.
ICE officials reported that among the 1,406 detained, more than 600 had significant criminal histories or were wanted fugitives abroad. Targets included members of MS-13, Tren de Aragua, Trinitarios, and the 18th Street gang. Six confirmed gang members and several associates were taken into custody.
FBI Boston Special Agent in Charge Ted Docks said the operation sent a “clear and unmistakable message” to those breaking U.S. immigration law. “If you are here illegally, hiding out and committing crimes, we will find you, we will arrest you, and we will remove you from our communities,” he said.
Dozens of violent offenders removed from communities
Among those arrested were individuals charged or convicted of violent crimes, including murder, rape, child sexual assault, and drug trafficking. ICE detailed several high-profile arrests, such as:
- Jose Orellana-Pena, 53, El Salvador — convicted of assault to rape, indecent assault, and battery.
- Wellington Ramos-De Souza, 39, Brazil — facing rape charges in Danvers.
- Anderson Stephen Hernandez-Vasquez, 24, Guatemala — convicted of raping a child in Woburn.
- Mauricio Eguizabal-Ovalle, 47, El Salvador — charged with multiple counts of child rape and indecent assault in Bristol County.
- Souvanheuang Phachansiri, 65, Laos — convicted of second-degree murder and kidnapping in Boston.
ICE Boston Acting Field Office Director David Wesling said the arrests directly impacted community safety. “These include murderers, rapists, drug traffickers, child sex predators and gang members. All made the mistake of attempting to undermine U.S. immigration law by hiding out in Massachusetts,” he said.
Sanctuary policies under renewed scrutiny
Officials said many of the arrests occurred after local jurisdictions refused to comply with ICE detainer requests, forcing agents to conduct at-large arrests in public. “Local politicians need to end irresponsible sanctuary policies,” Lyons said. “They’re putting neighborhoods, officers, and even illegal aliens at risk.”
U.S. Attorney Leah Foley added that her office will continue prioritizing prosecution of offenders found to be violating immigration laws. “By removing these individuals, we have made our communities safer,” Foley said.
Multiple agencies cite shared mission
Leadership from the DEA, ATF, and U.S. Marshals Service all credited the operation’s success to interagency coordination. “Violent criminals who threaten the safety of our communities will be held accountable,” said Acting U.S. Marshal Kevin Neal.
DEA New England Special Agent Jarod Forget emphasized the connection between drug crime and immigration enforcement. “DEA has prioritized investigations into violent, illegal criminal aliens responsible for flooding our communities with dangerous drugs,” Forget said.
Continuing detention and deportation proceedings
All 1,406 individuals arrested during Operation Patriot 2.0 remain in ICE custody pending removal proceedings or deportation. Authorities noted that 277 had previously been ordered removed but refused to comply.
The operation’s success, officials said, reflects a broader commitment among federal agencies to restore the rule of law and ensure public safety across Massachusetts.
Members of the public can report immigration-related crimes or suspicious activity by calling 866-DHS-2-ICE or submitting a tip online.