New Jersey sues Trump again, this time over SNAP benefits

TRENTON, N.J. — Attorney General Matthew J. Platkin has filed a sweeping lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Agriculture and its Secretary, Brooke Rollins, accusing the Trump administration of unlawfully suspending food assistance for millions of Americans amid the ongoing federal government shutdown.

The action, joined by 21 other state attorneys general and three governors, targets the administration’s decision to suspend funding for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) beginning November 1.

Governor Phil Murphy said the move “betrays America’s most vulnerable working- and middle-class families,” calling it “an affront to the more than 800,000 New Jerseyans” who rely on SNAP to buy food.


Key Points

  • Platkin filed suit with 21 other states over USDA’s suspension of November SNAP benefits
  • Lawsuit claims USDA has access to contingency funds but refuses to use them
  • New Jersey has more than 800,000 residents who rely on SNAP assistance

Shutdown sparks lawsuit over suspended SNAP funding

According to the complaint, the USDA informed state agencies that it would suspend all SNAP allotments beginning November 1, citing insufficient funds during the federal government shutdown. However, the coalition of attorneys general argues the agency still holds billions in contingency funds specifically appropriated by Congress to sustain the program during fiscal interruptions.

The lawsuit alleges that the USDA’s actions are illegal under the Administrative Procedure Act, which requires agencies to follow congressional intent. Congress has previously ensured SNAP benefits would continue during shutdowns, the states argue, making the administration’s suspension “arbitrary and capricious.”

Millions face potential food insecurity

Officials warn that halting SNAP will have devastating consequences for low-income families and communities already struggling with food insecurity. In New Jersey alone, more than 812,000 residents—including over 340,000 children and 176,000 seniors—depend on the program for daily nutrition.

The lapse in funding could also strain local food banks and emergency service providers, which typically see increased demand during the holiday season. Economic impacts are expected to ripple through grocery stores and other retailers that accept SNAP, with USDA estimating every dollar of SNAP spending generates $1.54 in economic activity.

Legal fight intensifies amid shutdown

Platkin and the coalition are also seeking a temporary restraining order to compel USDA to resume benefits immediately. The case underscores growing tension between state governments and the Trump administration over the handling of federal programs during the shutdown, which began October 1 when Congress failed to pass a new budget.

Joining New Jersey in the lawsuit are the attorneys general from states including California, New York, Illinois, and Washington, along with the governors of Kansas, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania.

States challenge federal overreach

In announcing the legal challenge, Platkin said New Jersey “will not allow its families to be used as political pawns.” He accused the administration of making a “deliberate and inhumane choice” to withhold essential food funding while continuing to finance other federal programs through emergency reserves.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court, seeks to block USDA’s suspension order and restore SNAP benefits nationwide, asserting that the agency’s actions violate both federal law and constitutional principles separating executive authority from congressional appropriations.