PALM BEACH, FL – A 20-year-old man from North Carolina was shot and killed early Sunday after crashing through the secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s private resort, according to the U.S. Secret Service.
Authorities said the man drove into the restricted area around 1:30 a.m. as another vehicle was leaving the estate. Secret Service officers opened fire after he refused commands to stop, killing him at the scene.
Anthony Guglielmi, a spokesman for the agency, said the suspect was carrying a shotgun and had a gas can inside his vehicle. A box for the weapon was later recovered during a search of the car. Investigators said the man had been reported missing by his family several days earlier and is believed to have obtained the firearm while traveling south toward Florida.
Trump not present during the incident
At the time of the breach, President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump were in Washington, D.C., and not at the Palm Beach property. Secret Service officials said the resort remained under lockdown for several hours while agents and local law enforcement secured the area and processed the scene.
The U.S. Secret Service has not released the name of the suspect pending notification of family. Investigators are now working to determine his motive and how he was able to approach one of the most heavily guarded private properties in the country.
Heightened security concerns
Trump has faced multiple threats in recent years, including two assassination attempts during the 2024 campaign. Sunday’s incident adds to mounting security challenges surrounding his movements and properties as he continues to reside part-time at Mar-a-Lago.
Key points
- Armed man from North Carolina shot dead after breaching Mar-a-Lago gate
- Suspect had a shotgun and gas can in his vehicle
- President Trump and First Lady Melania were not at the resort at the time
Investigation ongoing into Mar-a-Lago security breach








