New York Woman claims self-defense in murder of ex-boyfriend’s new partner after traveling to Florida

New york woman claims self-defense in murder of ex-boyfriend's new partner after traveling to florida - photo licensed by shore news network.

Woman claims self-defense in murder of ex-boyfriend’s new partner

TAMARAC, FL – A woman accused of traveling from New York to Florida to murder her ex-boyfriend’s new partner took the stand in her defense on Monday. Sakiyna Thompson, 31, is currently on trial for the murder of 23-year-old Kayla Hodgson, who was allegedly stabbed multiple times.

Thompson asserts that she acted in self-defense when she killed Hodgson at the victim’s apartment on July 13, 2022. According to reports, she claimed she intended to have a “woman-to-woman” conversation with Hodgson when the pair confronted each other.

During her testimony, Thompson acknowledged that she killed Hodgson but maintained it was an act of self-defense. “I killed her because she took the glass from the hookah and slashed me across the stomach,” Thompson told jurors.

Thompson indicated she blacked out and did not recall the attack sequence after the initial confrontation. She alleged that upon regaining her senses, she found herself holding the murder weapon and discovered Hodgson on the floor.

Following the incident, Thompson reportedly changed into Hodgson’s clothes and attempted to clean the scene before fleeing. “I was walking in the blood,” she stated.

Feeling afraid, Thompson did not contact authorities and returned to New York. She was arrested on August 3, 2022, and extradited to Florida where she faces a charge of first-degree murder.

Closing arguments from both the prosecution and defense were expected to take place Tuesday. Hodgson’s family established a GoFundMe account after her death, describing her as a beloved daughter and friend to many.

The trial will determine if Thompson’s claim of self-defense holds weight in the eyes of the law.

Tragic case of infant murder heads to trial

Tragic case of infant murder heads to trial - photo licensed by shore news network.

Tragic case of infant murder heads to trial

MONROE, WI – Logan Kruckenberg Anderson, 21, is set to go on trial for the alleged murder of his newborn daughter, Harper. The incident occurred when he was 16 years old. Anderson reportedly shot Harper twice in the head before leaving her body in the woods, covered in snow.

Harper was born on January 5, 2021, in Albany, Wisconsin. The Green County District Attorney’s Office charged Anderson as an adult with first-degree intentional homicide and hiding the corpse of a child after the baby’s body was discovered days later.

According to a criminal complaint, Anderson’s then-girlfriend gave birth in a bathtub. Reports indicate Anderson called 911, stating that the mother took the baby out of the house and he had not seen her since.

The investigation revealed Anderson and his girlfriend decided they could not keep the baby. Anderson claimed they contacted a person named Tyler on Snapchat to take Harper to an adoption agency. He allegedly gave Tyler $60 for this task.

However, Anderson’s account changed. He reportedly admitted to leaving Harper in the woods, stating that he heard her crying as he walked away. Investigators later found the baby’s body, confirming she had been shot.

Crime scene technicians discovered a firearm linked to Anderson. An unnamed juvenile turned the gun into the sheriff’s office, stating that Anderson had given it to him days earlier.

Kruckenberg Anderson appeared in Green County court for his pretrial appearance on Tuesday. His trial is scheduled for October 27. No charges have been filed against Harper’s mother.

A tragic case of a father accused of killing his newborn is poised for trial.

AG Platkin Says He Will Fight as New Jersey Magazine Ban Faces Biggest Challenge Yet

Ag platkin says he will fight as new jersey magazine ban faces biggest challenge yet - photo licensed by shore news network.

Attorney General defends New Jersey’s gun laws as court case looms

PHILADELPHIA — New Jersey Attorney General Matthew J. Platkin issued a statement as oral arguments began at the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit regarding ANJRPC v. Platkin. The Attorney General emphasized the impact of New Jersey’s gun safety laws, stating that they led to record low numbers of shootings in the state over the last two years.

Platkin said, “This significant achievement is under threat by the gun lobby seeking to bolster their profits at the cost of the lives of New Jerseyans.” He noted the commitment of the Murphy Administration to saving lives in New Jersey through various initiatives, including the establishment of the Statewide Affirmative Firearms Enforcement Office.

Today’s hearing will involve defending longstanding restrictions on assault weapons and large capacity magazines, laws that have been in place for 35 years. These laws continue to be positioned as crucial for protecting residents.

According to Platkin, these weapons are poorly suited for civilian self-defense and are instead designed for military combat. He stated that they are disproportionately used in mass shootings nationwide, referencing events such as the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and the Las Vegas mass shooting.

All Circuits that have reviewed Second Amendment challenges to similar bans post-Bruen have rejected those challenges. Solicitor General Jeremy Feigenbaum is set to represent the state during today’s arguments before the Third Circuit.

The implications of the ruling could influence gun control measures across the United States as New Jersey maintains its stance on gun safety laws.

As the Third Circuit hears these critical arguments, the future of New Jersey’s stringent gun policies hangs in the balance.