Police station fumigated after men caught in store sex act, report says

CLIFTON – Two men face lewdness and other charges after they were caught in an alleged sex act on a display bed at Bed Bath & Beyond, according to a report on NorthJersey.com. Police were called to the store on Route 3 during business hours on Jan. 30 after an employee said the men were engaged…

Ex-Ocean Gate police chief was suspended 90 days before retirement, report says

OCEAN GATE — Former Ocean Gate Police Chief Reece J. Fisher was suspended for 90-days before he retired on Dec. 1, according to documents and interviews obtained by app.com. The suspension came after an internal review by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office of Fisher concluded that he violated department policies relating to a crash involving one…

Runaway red Target ball crashes into SUV (VIDEO)

PARAMUS – A two-ton cement ball used as a bollard outside a Target store became dislodged, rolling through the store parking lot and striking a moving vehicle, reportedly causing thousands in damage. Target’s famous red ball, which is meant to protect the store entrances, was knocked loose by a pickup truck passing through the lot, as…

Another Little Egg Harbor Man Facing More Child Sexual Assault Charges

LITTLE EGG HARBOR-Officials today announced additional charges for defendant Milton Cortina, 40, of Little Egg Harbor.  Cortina on 1/30/17 was arrested and charged with two counts of Aggravated Sexual Assault (1st degree), Aggravated Criminal Sexual Contact (3rd degree), Endangering the Welfare of a Child (2nd Degree), Production of Child Pornography (1st degree), Possession of Child Pornography (2nd degree) and Invasion of Privacy (3rd degree).  On 2/1/17 the partnering agencies levied additional charges of Possession of Child Pornography (2nd degree) and Invasion of Privacy (3rd degree).

Earlier this week (1/30/17), after completing an investigation begun in December of 2016 Ocean County Prosecutor’s Special Victims Unit Det. Stephanie Bayha, along with Little Egg Harbor Police Dets. Joel Mahr and Steven Martin, arrested Cortina at his Little Egg Harbor residence.  At that time he was charged with Aggravated Sexual Assault and the other before mentioned charges committed against a juvenile female victim.  During their investigation the Ocean County Prosecutor’s High Tech Crime Unit and Ocean County Sheriff’s Department CSI also assisted.  Search warrants were executed on multiple electronic devices of Cortina which provided significant digital forensic evidence gleamed by the OCPO High Tech Crime Unit to support the charges.

On 2/1/17, after additional digital forensic evidence was developed by OCPO High Tech Crime Unit alleging a second juvenile female victim, OCPO Det. Bayha and Little Egg Harbor Police Det. Joel Mahr added charges against Cortino of Possession of Child Pornography (2nd degree) and Invasion of Privacy (3rd degree).

Nicole’s Law (no contact with victims) has been implemented.  Cortina remains incarcerated in the Ocean County Jail pending a Detention Hearing.  The media and public are reminded that criminal charges are merely accusations and that the defendant is presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.

Woman Able to Steal $1 Million From Boss Before Being Caught

MILLSTONE- Virginia DeBerri, 52, of Brick Township, pleaded guilty to second degree theft, acknowledging that she stole more than $1 million dollars from her employer, Foresight Enviroprobe, Inc., over the course of five years while she was employed as a bookkeeper for the Millstone-based company.

In November of 2015, troopers from Hamilton Station began investigating DeBerri when company owners were notified of a banking discrepancy. During the course of the investigation by State Police and Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office detectives, investigators discovered that DeBerri forged more than 500 company checks between 2010 and 2015, which were deposited into her personal bank account. They also discovered that she increased her own salary by manipulating the company payroll without authorization.

Virginia DeBerri entered a plea agreement with the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office, which has recommended a seven-year sentence in state prison.

Now look, people, you may deserve a raise. We get it. But you just can’t go ahead and give yourself one without the boss knowing!

Great job by Hamilton Station troopers and our detectives from the Troop “C” Criminal Investigations Office! Let’s give them a big ole’ #Attaboy in the comments below!

Two Charged for Murder of Missing Belmar Girl

FREEHOLD-Two Neptune City men have been charged in connection with the murder of 19 year-old Sarah Stern, who has been missing since early December, announced Monmouth County Prosecutor Christopher J. Gramiccioni. The arrests end a nearly two month long search for the missing teen, last seen alive on December 2nd.

The Neptune City Police Department charged Liam McAtasney, 19, of Neptune City with first degree Murder, first degree Felony Murder, first degree Robbery, second degree Desecration of Human Remains, second degree Conspiracy (to Desecrate Human Remains) and second degree Hindering Apprehension. Preston Taylor, 19, also of Neptune City, was charged with second degree Desecration of Human Remains, second degree Conspiracy (to Desecrate Human Remains) and second degree Hindering Apprehension. Detectives determined that McAtasney was responsible for killing Stern and stealing property from her on December 2, 2016. The investigation also revealed that Taylor provided assistance to McAtasney in moving and ultimately disposing of Stern’s body in order to avoid detection.

These arrests are the culmination of an almost two-month investigation into the whereabouts of Stern, who was last seen at her Neptune City residence on the afternoon of December 2, 2016. An investigation was launched after her 1994 silver, four-door Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight, was found abandoned on the shoulder of the southbound lane of the Route 35 Bridge in Belmar. Neptune Township Police were alerted to the vehicle by a passerby. Stern’s deserted car was operational and the keys were found in the vehicle. At that time, no persons were in the area and the vehicle was subsequently towed from the road by the Neptune Township Police Department.

The Neptune Township Police Department contacted the Neptune City Police Department to request a welfare check of the registered owner of the vehicle. Upon arrival at the address of the registered owner, who is a family member of Stern’s, the residence was found unlocked and no one was home. Further investigation determined Sarah Stern was the missing driver of the vehicle and her family did not know of her whereabouts.

As a result of Stern’s vehicle being found unoccupied and on the bridge, the Belmar Water Rescue Team was called to search Shark River for any evidence of her body. The Belmar Water Rescue Team was assisted by the United States Coast Guard, the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office Dive Team, the Area Network of Shore Water Emergency Responders Team and the New Jersey State Police. Those assets searched the Shark River with divers, boats and helicopters, but, to date, attempts to locate Stern have been unsuccessful.

On Sunday, December 4th, detectives from the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office joined the investigation in an effort to locate Stern. Detectives from the Prosecutor’s Office and the Belmar and Neptune City Police Departments have continued to investigate her whereabouts since that time. The New Jersey State Police Missing Persons Unit and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children have also assisted in this investigation.

Recent developments in the investigation led detectives to McAtasney and Taylor and culminated in their arrests. Anyone with information that may assist in this investigation is asked to contact Detective Brian Weisbrot from the Monmouth County Prosecutors Office at (800) 533-7443, Detective Michael Vollbrecht of the Neptune City Police Department at (732) 775-1615, or Detective John Mahoney from the Belmar Police Department at (732) 681-1700.

The case is assigned to Assistant Prosecutor Christopher J. Decker, Director of the Office’s Major Crimes Bureau.

Anyone who feels the need to remain anonymous, but has information about a crime can contact Monmouth County Crime Stoppers confidential telephone tip-line by calling 1-800-671-4400; can text “MONMOUTH” plus their tip to 274637; or, they can email a tip via the website at:

www.monmouthcountycrimestoppers.com. Monmouth County Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for information leading to the arrest of criminals and fugitives. Despite these charges, every defendant is presumed innocent, unless and until found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, following a trial at which the defendant has all of the trial rights guaranteed by the United States Constitution and State law

Two charged for murder of missing belmar girl

Former Wall coach Dan Curcione appointed head football coach at Donovan Catholic

TOMS RIVER — A little less than two months removed from winning the South Jersey Group 3 title at Wall, Dan Curcione is moving on. Donovan Catholic announced Wednesday it named Curcione, the NJ.com Shore Conference Coach of the Year, its new head football coach replacing Tom Tarver, who was not rehired after an 0-10 season.…

Man breaks into house to drink cough syrup, steal vodka, cops say

TOMS RIVER — A 42-year-old man drank cough syrup and stole a bottle of vodka and a laptop after breaking into a house, authorities said. Kevin Laird broke a basement window and entered a house on Greenwich Court on around 5:30 p.m. on Jan. 23, Toms River police said in a news release. When the residents…

Chiropractor had fentanyl, charged patients for services he didn't provide, grand jury says

TOMS RIVER — A Lakewood chiropractor was indicted Tuesday on charges he submitted insurance claims for work he didn’t do. The grand jury indictment charged Carlo Amato, 55, of Beachwood, with four counts of healthcare claim fraud and one count each of theft by deception and possession of fentanyl, according to court documents. The indictment said…

Singer, Sweeney Want NJ Taxpayers to Pay More for Broken Bail Reform Costs

 

TRENTON-A new bill was introduced this week in the New Jersey State Senate to allow for tax increases to cover the added expenses of managing New Jersey’s new Bail Reform and Speedy Trial Act.   The new act which has created a well-oiled revolving door that benefits criminals and hinders law enforcement comes at a price and somebody has to pay for it.

Singer, sweeney want nj taxpayers to pay more for broken bail reform costs
Photos: top: nj senator steve sweeney. Above: robert singer, representing lakewood township.

The bail reform isn’t working. It’s letting criminals go free without bail and costing local towns and courts a lot of money.  Instead of working on repealing it, two state senators want the taxpayers to pay more money to make it work.

The new act has created more paperwork for law enforcement entities and has been blamed for letting a two-time child sex offender in Little Egg Harbor walk free after sexually assaulting a child.

Now, New Jersey State Senators Steve Sweeney and Robert Singer want New Jersey taxpayers to bear the brunt of a criminal justice reform that just isn’t working.

The bill creates a one-year property tax levy cap exclusion for costs incurred by local units as a result of the implementation of bail reform pursuant to P.L.2014, c.31 (C.2A:162-15 et al.).  The bill permits counties to add bail reform expenditures incurred during calendar year 2017 to the adjusted tax levy for calendar year 2018.

The Bill was introduced on Monday.

“In November 2014, the voters approved an amendment to Article I, paragraph 11 of the New Jersey Constitution, which allows the Legislature to pass laws concerning pretrial release and pretrial detention.  P.L.2014, c.31 concerns several aspects of judicial administration,” the Singer-Sweeney bill said.  “That law establishes statutory trial deadlines for persons being detained in jail, both pre- and post-indictment; reforms the manner in which determinations for bail and other forms of criminal pre-trial release are made; provides courts with the authority to deny pre-trial release and instead order pre-trial detention; and authorizes the Judiciary to revise and supplement fees to help fund a pre-trial risk assessment and monitoring program, and other court-related programs and services.”

According to the duo, “Published news reports indicate counties have incurred new costs associated with the bail reform initiative.  Currently, such expenses are not excluded from the cap on increases in the county property tax levy.  Without this temporary levy cap exclusion, county governments may be forced to limit expenditures on local priorities in order to support the bail reform program.  Providing a levy cap exclusion will allow counties to budget for any additional costs to be incurred while maintaining local services.”

Bail reform in New Jersey has done nothing but let criminals go free and handcuff law enforcement since it was enacted on January 1st of this year, now the state wants the residents who have been exposed and endangered by this new and improve revolving door of justice to pay more to make it work.

Donovan Catholic Crowned Powerlifting Champions

Success continues for the Donovan Catholic powerlifting team as they take home a national title.  The program has been hailed as a powerlifting powerhouse in recent years, gaining recognition statewide in the sport.

 

Matawan man charged for death of bicyclist

​Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew C. Carey and Chief Darren Lavigne of the South Amboy Police Department said a Matawan man has been charged with causing the death of a bicyclist who died after he was struck by a car that was being driven by the defendant.

Francis Smith, 56, of Matawan was charged with aggravated manslaughter, death by auto, and leaving the scene of a motor vehicle crash involving fatal injuries.
The charges were filed after William Nash, 57, of South Amboy died on January 18, 2017 from head injuries he suffered when he was struck while riding his bike on Main Street in South Amboy on January 17, 2017.
The charges were filed during an investigation by Officer Steven Clark of the South Amboy Police Department and Detective Donald Heck of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.
During the investigation, it was determined that Mr. Nash was riding on Main Street near Route 9 when the defendant, who was driving a 2012 Hundai Sonata, struck the victim from behind. The victim was taken to Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick.
Smith fled the scene but was apprehended a half-mile away when his car hit a curb and was disabled.
The defendant initially was charged with driving while intoxicated, aggravated assault and fleeing. The new charges were filed on January 22, 2017. Mr. Nash died at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick.
Smith has been in custody since he initially was charged with injuring Mr. Nash.
The investigation is active and is continuing. Anyone with information is asked to call Officer Clark of the South Amboy Police Department at (732) 721-0111, or Detective Heck of the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office at (732) 745-8842.

Kelaher swears in new auxiliary police volunteers

TOMS RIVER-During last week’s Toms River Township council meeting, Mayor Kelaher administered new oaths of office to members of the Auxiliary Police at their annual swearing in ceremony. The Toms River Auxiliary Police is comprised of volunteer citizens, both men and women, who donate their time to help the community. They perform varies duties including traffic/crowd control at civic events, uniformed patrols, first aid, CPR, calls for service, community events and details.

Brick, Toms River Residents Identified as Victims of Fatal Parkway Crash

Police identify 2 killed in Parkway crash

ABERDEEN — Police have identified the two people killed in a crash on the Garden State Parkway Saturday afternoon. Kyia Fredericks, 25, of Brick, and Rene Munoz, 29, of Toms River, were in a Chevrolet Camaro when it stopped in the center lane of the southbound express lanes of the Parkway around 3:30 p.m., near milepost…

Mariners Finish 3rd at SCT Track Championship

Toms River High School North’s  Boy’s track team for placed 3rd at this past weekend’s Shore Conference Championships.  Senior Ryan Roger won the shot put with a throw of 57’11”. This is the 5th longest throw of the season throughout the state. Senior Bryce Watts took 2nd in 55 meters with a time of this season.

Pictured is Senior Ryan Roger and Coach Jack Boylan.

Team Mascot Proposes at High School Basketball Game

Toms River High School North alumni Brielle Douress was shocked at last Thursday’s Mariners basketball game when her fiancé showed up as the Mariner Mascot “Salty” and proposed to her at halftime.