After Toms River Rejection, Empanada Guy Finds Open Arms in Brick

BRICK-After his business was rejected by the Toms River township council last March, Carlos Serrano, the “Empanada Guy” has received a warm welcome from nearby Brick Township.   Serrano’s very popular food truck was denied access in Toms River after local brick and mortar competitors objected to his request to operate within the town, citing a 1973 ordinance  that bars the operation of food trucks within the township unless they move their vehicle every thirty minutes.

Serrano said he will operate out of the parking lot of the Ocean Ice Palace and is hoping to have approvals to begin operations in March.

The announcement was made on the Empanada Guy’s Facebook page in January and in the weeks since, eager foodies and fans of Serrano’s have been impatient, asking daily when he will open.

“I wanted to apply for a permanent location for one of my food trucks in Toms River,” Serrano said.  “The ordinance is from 45 years ago.”

But the township refused to accommodate Serrano, forcing him to look elsewhere to establish his business in Ocean County.

Last year, Paul Shives, township business administrator told Serrano the law was written specifically to keep businesses such as his out of Toms River.

 

Storm leaves more than 1K without power, delays school in Monmouth, Ocean counties

The storm that brought rain and strong gusts of wind to New Jersey overnight caused nearly 2,000 customers in Monmouth and Ocean counties to wake up without power on Thursday morning. As of 6 a.m. Jersey Central Power & Light was reporting that 1,256 of its customers in Monmouth County were without power, with Long Branch…

Man's Throat Slashed Outside Ocean County Drugstore

LITTLE EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP-Police here said a man’s throat was slashed after an altercation outside the Walgreen’s drug store on Mathistown Road.   Lt. Troy Bezak said the event happened at 3:30pm on Wednesday when two men, yet to be identified were arguing outside the store.  One man slashed the other man’s throat with a knife and fled.  The victim chased the man across the street.  Police said they have arrested the attacker.   The victim suffered serious wounds which were not considered life-threatening.

Lakewood Man Wanted for Theft of Motor Vehicle in Lacey

LACEY-On Tuesday, February 16, 2016, at 11:06 p.m., Officer George Resetar responded to 811 Route 9 North in Lanoka Harbor for a report of theft. The victim reported that while she was visiting her sister at the residence of 811 Route 9 North in Lanoka Harbor, NJ her car was stolen by her sister’s boyfriend, 25-year-old Melvin Ozoria of 345 New Central Avenue, Lakewood, NJ. The stolen vehicle was reported as a silver, 2014, Kia Optima. The suspect reportedly took the keys off of a table inside the residence and left with the vehicle to an unknown location. A complaint-warrant was obtained for Melvin Ozoria for a charge of Theft of Movable Property with bail set by Judge Damian Murray in the amount $20,000. The suspect, Melvin Ozoria, brought the vehicle back to the residence at approximately 3:24 a.m. on Wednesday, February 17, 2016. The vehicle appeared to have been involved in an accident, as it was returned with significant damage to the passenger side. The victim and the suspect engaged in a verbal altercation that turned physical. Melvin Ozoria then fled the area without the vehicle. Melvin Ozoria of 345 New Central Avenue in Lakewood is wanted on the $20,000 warrant as of the time of this release.

Toms River Man Arrested for Stealing Nearly $500 in Legos from Walmart

LACEY-On Friday, February 19, 2016, at 5:37 p.m., Officer Dimitrios Tsarnas responded to Walmart, 580 Route 9 North in Lanoka Harbor, in reference to a report of shoplifting. The loss prevention employee reported that he observed a male subject attempting to exit the store with a shopping cart full of merchandise for which payment had not been made. Upon being confronted, the suspect reportedly left the shopping cart of merchandise and fled the area on foot. The shoplifted merchandise consisted of $488.06 of Lego’s and a $4.47 quart of oil. Upon further investigation, the shoplifter was identified as 31-year-old Douglas M. Gifford Jr. of Flint Road in Toms River, NJ. A $1,500 warrant was issued for his arrest.

Toms River to Set New Date for Chabad Hearing

On Thursday, the Toms River zoning board will announce a new date for the hearing of the application for the Chabad Jewish Center of Toms River.  The controversial application involving a Jewish community center’s variance has caused the township to move meetings to the auditorium at Toms River High School North.    After canceling the February 18th meeting, the board is scheduled to meet tonight, but will not hear testimony on the Chabad application.

Tonight’s regularly scheduled meeting will be held at 7:30 pm in the L. Manuel Hirshblond Room, Town Hall, 33 Washington Street, Toms River, New Jersey. It will be listed on the agenda for rescheduling purposes only.

 

Bonnie and Clyde: Toms River Police Charge Couple with String of Burglaries

A four month investigation into the multiple residential burglaries within the Green Briar Woodlands Retirement Community resulted in the arrests of James Donegan, age 37, and Amiko Donegan, age 35, of Ebb Tide Drive in Brick. The couple was charged with two counts of burglary, two counts of theft and two counts of criminal mischief. Bail was set at $150,000 each by the Toms River Municipal Court and both are currently incarcerated in the Ocean County Jail.

The investigation began in late November of 2015 through February of 2016 after multiple residential burglaries were reported within the retirement community. In each case, entry was forced into unoccupied homes during the daytime where jewelry, cash, and other valuable items were stolen.

As leads began to be developed, a co-operative effort between the neighboring townships of Brick, Berkeley, Ocean Gate, and Lacey Township was initiated. The detective bureaus from these agencies were instrumental in the identification and apprehension of these suspects. As a result of a search warrant executed by the Berkeley Township Police Department into their Brick home evidence relating to the burglaries was seized including their vehicle which was used in the commission of the crimes. This investigation is continuing and more charges are expected as evidence is being identified.

Donegan was arrested back in November of 2016 in Brick for attacking a Brick Township Police officer and his patrol car with a baseball bat.

 

Prosecutor: Jackson Woman Indicted for Causing Miscarriage of Pregnant Woman During Robbery

ASBURY PARK-The Asbury Park Police Department arrested Margaret M. Vannell, 34, of Liverpool Court on aggravated assault charges during a January 11th incident where Vannell assaulted another individual.   Monmouth County Prosecutors announced Vannell’s indictment on Tuesday.

The Prosecutor’s Office said Vannell attempted to cause serious bodily injury to a pregnant woman during the course of a robbery, pulling her pregnant victim to the ground and struggling with her over a pocketbook.   The assault, police said, contributed to the victim’s miscarriage of her baby.

It was not the first run Vannell had with police.

On January 8th,  Ocean Township (Monmouth) police officers responded to the Target of Ocean for a report of a shoplifting in progress. Once on scene they learned that the suspect fled the area in a taxi.

A subsequent investigation by detectives led them to the Asbury Park train station where they located the suspect, Margaret Vannell.

Once she was positively identified she was placed under arrest and taken to the Township of Ocean Police Headquarters for processing. Once back at the station Detectives Michael Legg and Bryan Morgan continued their investigation. It was at this time they identified Vannell as the accused in 5 other shopliftings in Ocean Township. Vannell was charged with 6 shoplifting and 1 count of possession of drug paraphernalia. She was released on a complaint summons and is scheduled to appear at a future court hearing

Great Adventure Hosting Job Fair This Weekend

JACKSON, N.J. ─ February 24, 2016 ─ This Sunday, Six Flags Great Adventure will host its final spring job fair from 10 am to 4 pm in the Employment Center. 4,000 employees are needed for the 2016 season, which begins March 23 and spans four seasons of fun. The world’s largest theme park seeks individuals with a passion for delivering friendly, fast, clean and safe guest service in a fun and fast-paced environment. In 2015, the theme park garnered its highest guest satisfaction scores in history, and will launch the insane and cutting-edge The Joker 4D free-fly coaster, Caribbean Cove in Hurricane Harbor, and an expanded Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park for 2016.

Six Flags is looking for enthusiastic candidates of all ages and backgrounds, and has seasonal positions available in retail, games, park services, ride operations, culinary services, admissions, guest relations/VIP services, market research, loss prevention, security, landscaping, safari guides, lifeguards, entertainment technical support, accounting, cash control, corporate alliance brand ambassadors and human resources.

Six Flags Great Adventure is New Jersey’s largest seasonal employer and the largest employer in Ocean County. The theme park is an equal opportunity employer and offers a wide variety of positions and paid internships. Six Flags provides team members many benefits including advancement opportunities, reward and recognition programs, scholarships, free park admission, incentives from area businesses and much more.

Details for Sunday, February 28:

Job Fair: 10 am to 4 pm
Six Flags Great Adventure’s Employment Center, 1 Six Flags Blvd., Jackson, NJ 08527
Enter via Employment Entrance approximately one mile west of main park entrance.

Before attending, new applicants should visit www.sixflagsjobs.com to complete an online application. Applicants without access to computers can visit the Employment Center for assistance during regular operating hours.

Six Flags Employment Center: Open Monday to Friday from 12 to 6 pm, and Saturdays from 9 am to 5 pm. Walk-in applicants who have completed their online application and rehires are welcome.

The 2016 season kicks off March 23 and runs on a varied schedule through the summer, Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park, which ends Jan. 1, 2017. More information is available at www.sixflags.com