Group home operator and staff charged in neglect of elderly resident at South Jersey facility

A judge's gavel - file photo

TRENTON, NJ – The owner and several employees of a South Jersey group home have been charged after prosecutors said they neglected and abused an elderly resident who was left on the floor for hours after repeated falls.

Attorney General Matthew J. Platkin announced the charges Monday, naming Pennsylvania-based Elwyn Pennsylvania Delaware Inc. and multiple staff members connected to the Strathmore Group Home in Vineland.

Officials allege the neglect spanned multiple incidents in April 2023 and involved serious failures to provide care or implement safety procedures for vulnerable residents.


Key Points

  • Elwyn Pennsylvania Delaware Inc. and several employees were charged with neglect of an elderly or disabled person.
  • Prosecutors say a resident was left on the floor for hours following two separate falls in April 2023.
  • Attorney General Platkin said the conduct described in the indictment “goes beyond mere neglect.”

Multiple defendants arraigned in Cumberland County

According to the Office of the Attorney General, Elwyn and one employee, Gwendolyn Singletary, were arraigned October 20 on third-degree charges of neglect and conspiracy. Singletary also faces a fourth-degree count of assault on an institutionalized person. Earlier in the year, other Elwyn officials—including director of operations Inkie Mars, clinical director Bryan F. Firlein, and direct support professional Michele Beirne—were arraigned on similar charges.

Beirne entered pretrial intervention in September and agreed to perform community service and abstain from future direct-care employment. Operations manager DeShay Dickson and direct support professional Brenda Hichens Torres were arraigned in September, with all defendants formally indicted in May.

Victim left without care for hours

Investigators said the victim, identified as “S.K.,” fell twice in April 2023 while living at the Strathmore Group Home. Staff allegedly failed to check her for injuries or assist her for hours after each incident. The second fall left the victim on the floor for nearly seven hours without aid, according to the indictment.

Prosecutors say the company and senior administrators failed to establish policies that could have prevented or mitigated such incidents.

Officials condemn alleged neglect

Attorney General Platkin said the charges highlight the state’s commitment to protecting vulnerable residents. “Failure to respond quickly and properly to a resident in need of care is not only wrong but may constitute a crime,” he said.

Division of Criminal Justice Director Theresa L. Hilton and Interim Insurance Fraud Prosecutor Al Garcia also denounced the alleged conduct, emphasizing that institutions must be held accountable when they fail to protect those in their care.

Investigation and potential penalties

The case was investigated by the Office of the Insurance Fraud Prosecutor and the Division of Criminal Justice, with Detective Yvette Vasquez leading the probe under senior supervision. Deputy Attorney General Laura L. Bryant is prosecuting the case.

If convicted, defendants face potential prison sentences ranging from 18 months to five years and fines of up to $15,000. All defendants remain presumed innocent pending trial.

Scroll to Top