ICE slams Maryland county for releasing violent offender before re-arrest

BALTIMORE, MD – Federal immigration officers have taken a convicted violent offender back into custody after he was released by Prince George’s County officials who ignored a federal detainer request, according to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. The man, identified as Rafael Aguilar of Honduras, had been charged with attempted murder and later convicted of second-degree assault in a 2025 stabbing that left a victim seriously injured.

ICE officers from the Baltimore Field Office arrested Aguilar on January 13, just one week after the county released him from custody despite a lodged immigration detainer. The agency had issued the detainer on August 19, 2025, following his conviction and 10-year sentence. County officials, operating under sanctuary policies, released Aguilar on January 6 after he served only 141 days behind bars.

Acting Field Office Director Vernon Liggins condemned the decision, saying local officials “chose politics over public safety.” In a statement, Liggins said, “When sanctuary jurisdictions refuse to honor ICE immigration detainers for egregious criminal illegal aliens, they are knowingly endangering the public. These reckless policies fail the law-abiding residents who expect their communities to be kept safe.”

Sanctuary policies under renewed scrutiny

The case has reignited tensions between federal immigration authorities and local jurisdictions that limit cooperation with ICE. Prince George’s County, like several Maryland counties, has maintained policies restricting communication with federal immigration officials — a stance critics argue has allowed violent offenders to return to communities prematurely.

Federal officials said Aguilar’s original charges included attempted murder after he allegedly stabbed a man in the back while the victim was walking home on April 19, 2025. Though prosecutors later reduced the charge to second-degree assault, the case drew federal attention because of the severity of the crime and the short sentence served.

Another major story, Marine combat veteran and New Jersey detective honored in emotional retirement ceremony.

ICE confirmed Aguilar has now been issued a notice to appear before a Justice Department immigration judge. He will remain in federal custody pending further proceedings.

• ICE arrested Rafael Aguilar on Jan. 13 after county officials released him
• Aguilar was convicted of second-degree assault after a 2025 stabbing
• Prince George’s County has faced criticism for ignoring ICE detainers

Officials said the agency will continue to prioritize enforcement actions against criminal aliens who pose a threat to public safety. Aguilar’s detention marks another example of ICE stepping in where local sanctuary laws limit cooperation.

More from Shore News Network, Maryland dad claims massive $570K jackpot after weeks of panic and sleepless nights.