Prosecutors move to jail Rhode Island man accused of violent threats against Trump and officials

PROVIDENCE, RI – Federal prosecutors in Rhode Island are seeking to return a man to custody after he allegedly violated court conditions while awaiting trial for making online threats to kill President Donald Trump and other federal officials.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Dulce Donovan filed a motion requesting a new arrest warrant for 37-year-old Carl D. Montague, arguing he continues to pose a risk to public safety and to the individuals targeted in his threats.

It’s a shame you won’t get to see the end of your f*ing term, because I’m gonna make sure I put a bullet between your f*ing head you piece of s*, you, Pam Bondi. Stephen f*ing miller, all you b*s are gonna get a f*ing bullet to the head every single f*ing one of you.

Montague was arrested in July after investigators linked him to a June 27 Truth Social post that allegedly threatened violence against Trump, Attorney General Pam Bondi, and White House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller.

The messages, written under the username “tacoustic,” were reported to federal authorities, prompting a Secret Service investigation.

Federal agents trace threats to Providence residence

Investigators said they identified Montague after tracing the Truth Social account to a Gmail address in Providence. The Secret Service requested an emergency disclosure from Google, obtained the related IP address, and matched it to Montague’s apartment.

Agents executed a warrant and found Montague hiding inside a bathtub. According to court filings, he began admitting to making the online threats before agents even identified themselves.

Confession and motive statements detailed in affidavit

During questioning, Montague reportedly told investigators he had been “smoking a lot of marijuana” and was venting political anger when he made the post. He said he deleted his account afterward and had no personal connection to the officials he mentioned, explaining their names appeared in other online conversations he had read.

Prosecutors now want Montague’s pretrial release revoked, saying his repeated violations and the nature of his prior threats show he remains a danger to the community.