Teen indicted for murder of 13-year-old outside Queens Dunkin’ Donuts
QUEENS, N.Y. – A 16-year-old from South Jamaica has been indicted on murder and weapons charges in the fatal shooting of 13-year-old Sanjay Samuel outside a Dunkin’ Donuts in Cambria Heights last month, District Attorney Melinda Katz announced Thursday.
Prosecutors said the victim was on his way to school on September 22 when he was shot in the head during a dispute in the parking lot of the Dunkin’ shop at 208-15 Linden Boulevard.
Key Points
- 16-year-old indicted for second-degree murder and weapons possession
- Victim, 13-year-old Sanjay Samuel, was shot outside Dunkin’ Donuts on Sept. 22
- Defendant faces up to 25 years to life in prison if convicted
The shooting
According to the indictment, the suspect approached Samuel on a scooter around 8:15 a.m. and began arguing. Prosecutors said the teen pulled a loaded semi-automatic handgun from his sweatshirt, struck Samuel, and then fired a single shot to the head before fleeing the scene.
Samuel died two days later from his injuries. The defendant surrendered to police at the NYPD’s 105th Precinct on September 26.
Legal proceedings
The teen was arraigned before Queens Supreme Court Justice Bruna Dibiase, who ordered him held without bail and scheduled his next court date for November 21.
If convicted of second-degree murder, the defendant faces a sentence of 25 years to life in prison.
The case is being prosecuted by Deputy Bureau Chief Barry Frankenstein and Assistant District Attorney Andres Sanchez under the supervision of ADA Jonathan Sennett of the Violent Criminal Enterprises Bureau.
