Toms River building official fired after investigation into alleged permit favoritism

TOMS RIVER, NJ — A senior Toms River construction official has been fired following a township investigation into allegations that he expedited permits and inspections for a construction consultant with ties to a prominent member of the Orthodox Jewish community, Mayor Dan Rodrick confirmed this week.

Benjamin Silkowitz, who served as head of the township’s building department, was placed on paid leave in November after officials received what the administration described as “credible information” that township procedures regarding certificates of occupancy and inspections had been bypassed.

In a letter sent by Business Administrator Jon Salonis, Silkowitz was informed that the administration believed he may have violated township protocols “in order to benefit an individual with whom you have a close personal relationship — and possibly a financial relationship.” The township retained an outside law firm to conduct an investigation that lasted more than two months.

Mayor Rodrick said the inquiry confirmed complaints that Silkowitz provided preferential treatment to an individual who operates a business managing permits and inspections for multiple construction companies in the region.

“Mr. Silkowitz was terminated for repeatedly giving special favors and preferential treatment,” Rodrick said, adding that the township offered the former official a hearing on January 21, which he declined.

Silkowitz has filed a wrongful termination lawsuit in Ocean County Superior Court, arguing he was not afforded proper due process. The mayor disputes that claim, stating the township extended an opportunity for a hearing before the termination became final.

The controversy intensified after Silkowitz confronted Rodrick at the annual League of Municipalities convention in Atlantic City, where township officials said a physical altercation occurred. Rodrick has said the confrontation itself constituted grounds for dismissal, independent of the investigation’s findings.

The lawsuit remains pending, and no criminal charges have been announced.