Walz says 70 percent of Minnesotans back assault weapons ban

ST. PAUL, Minn. – Governor Tim Walz said Tuesday that nearly 70 percent of Minnesotans support banning assault-style rifles, pointing to new polling that shows rare statewide agreement on one of the most divisive political issues in the country.

In a post shared on social media, Walz described the results as “overwhelming support” for an assault weapons ban, adding, “It’s hard to get that much agreement on anything.” The governor said the data underscores a growing public demand for action to prevent mass shootings and reduce gun violence in Minnesota communities.

While Walz did not identify the specific polling firm, his comments come as Democrats at the state and federal level renew calls for restrictions on high-powered semi-automatic firearms following several recent mass shootings across the country. Minnesota lawmakers have debated similar measures in past sessions, but proposals to ban the sale or possession of assault-style weapons have stalled in the divided legislature.

Walz, a former congressman and National Guard veteran, has long supported stricter gun safety laws, including universal background checks and red-flag provisions. His latest remarks suggest a renewed push in the upcoming legislative session to advance a comprehensive assault weapons ban.

Broad public support may shift legislative dynamics

The 70 percent figure cited by Walz—if consistent with statewide polling—would represent one of the strongest positions of public support for such a measure in Minnesota history. Recent surveys have shown majorities of Minnesotans backing expanded background checks and waiting periods, but consensus on a full assault weapons ban has typically been narrower.

Gun rights groups, including the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, have argued that such legislation would infringe on constitutional rights and unfairly target lawful gun owners. They maintain that enforcement should focus instead on criminal misuse of firearms rather than restrictions on specific weapon types.

Political and policy implications for Walz administration

With Democrats holding narrow control of the Minnesota House and Senate, Walz’s comments could signal a strategic test of the legislature’s willingness to act on one of the governor’s signature public safety priorities. The issue also positions him as part of a broader national conversation among Democratic governors pressing for stronger firearm regulations in the wake of repeated mass casualty incidents.

Walz’s administration has already enacted several gun safety measures, including background check expansion and extreme risk protection orders earlier this year. A statewide ban on assault-style rifles would mark one of the most significant steps yet in Minnesota’s gun policy evolution.

For now, the governor’s statement appears aimed at rallying public momentum. “People are demanding action on the weapons that have caused terror and heartbreak for our state,” Walz wrote, reflecting a growing sentiment among Minnesotans that the political debate over guns has shifted toward decisive action.