JACKSON, NJ – A fire broke out in a Jackson Township home Thursday night killing an elderly resident and forcing another occupant to jump out of a second floor window to escape the flames.
At approximately 8:45 p.m., the Jackson Township Police Department and Jackson Township Fire Department were dispatched to a structure fire with entrapment on Lehigh Boulevard.
“Upon arrival, emergency personnel found the structure to be fully engulfed by flames. Firefighters located the body of an 82 year-old female in the downstairs portion of the residence,” officials reported today. “She was pronounced deceased at the scene.”
A second victim jumped from the second story of the residence to escape the fire and received minor injuries. A pet dog has not yet been accounted for.
Two Jackson police officers injured
A Jackson Township Police Officer was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. A second Jackson Township Police Officer was transported to Monmouth Medical Center-Southern Campus in Lakewood, treated for minor injuries, and released.
What caused last night’s fatal fire in Jackson?
he cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Major Crime Unit- Arson Squad, Ocean County Sheriff’s Office Crime Scene Investigation Unit, Ocean County Fire Marshal’s Office, Jackson Township Fire Bureau, and Jackson Township Police Department
.The following agencies assisted with the response and investigation: Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Major Crime Unit-Arson Squad, Ocean County Fire Marshal’s Office, Jackson Township Police Department, Jackson Township Fire Bureau, Ocean County Sheriff’s Office Crime Scene Investigation Unit, Ocean County Road Department, and Ocean County Regional Urban Search Team.
More information will be released once it becomes available.
More Jackson Township News from JTOWN Magazine
- Daughter of cop killed in the line of duty graduates police academyJACKSON, NJ – Nearly twenty years to the date, Ashley Ventura, the daughter of a Jackson Township police officer killed in the line of duty in March of 2021 has graduated from the Ocean County Police Academy and is now a police officer like her dad. Ashley was just four years old when on March … Read more
- Chemed Provides Expedited Vaccinations to Jackson Teachers as District Increases In-School LearningJACKSON TOWNSHIP, NJ – Middle school students in the Jackson School District will return to an in-school learning model on Monday and as many as 300 teachers in the district have received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. The Jackson School District was offered immediate vaccinations by Chemed CEO Mark Berkowitz. Teachers and staff … Read more
- Jackson Fire Commissioners Host First Chametz burningJACKSON – Jackson Township is a changing community that has seen an influx of Orthodox Jewish residents moving in over the past few years. To accommodate the religious requirements of the community, the township held its first-ever Chametz burning. In the Orthodox Jewish faith, Chametz are to be burned on the Friday before Passover begins. … Read more
- Fire damages Lakewood Pizzeria, Liquor Store, Daycare CenterLakewood – One of the area’s most enjoyed pizzeria’s Knockout Pizza in Lakewood was damaged in a fire on Chambers Bridge Road’s Clock Tower Plaza. The fire was reported to police by a witness and firefighters said a sprinkler system had engaged prior to their arrival. “Shortly after 4 am the Lakewood Fire Department was … Read more
- Gasoline price in Jackson tops $3 per gallonJACKSON, NJ – Gas prices in Jackson Township are nearing the $3 mark across the board, but one station, GasTime on West Commodore Boulevard checked in today at $3.07 according to Gas Buddy. Prices for unleaded gasoline in the township ranged from $2.95 to $2.99 township wide with Speedway on Bennetts Mills Road selling at … Read more
- Facebook group helps New Jersey residents find vaccine appointmentsIf you’re one of the 7 million New Jersey residents who have not yet been vaccinated, then you know the struggles of working day and night to find an appointment for you or your loved ones. One Facebook group in New Jersey is helping residents find appointments and connect with the appropriate vaccination sites in … Read more
- Ciattarelli slammed for going maskless at Lakewood Campaign stopFormer New Jersey Republican Governor Chris Christie didn’t like wearing facemasks during the COVID-19 pandemic. That is until he became infected with the virus after spending time without masks around former President Donald J. Trump and his advisors. After spending a week in the hospital, Christie came out a born-again mask wearer, urging New Jerseyans … Read more