Inmate recaptured after mistaken release from Buncombe County jail

Inmate recaptured after mistaken release from buncombe county jail - photo licensed by shore news network.

Buncombe County jail admits error after inmate walks free

ASHEVILLE, N.C. – A man mistakenly released from the Buncombe County Detention Facility earlier this week is back in custody after law enforcement launched an all-out search to find him.

Authorities said Joseph Shustek was wrongly released on October 2 despite recent convictions for assault-related charges. He was located and returned to custody without incident.

Key Points

  • Inmate Joseph Shustek mistakenly released October 2 from Buncombe County jail
  • Shustek had recent convictions for assault and was appealing multiple cases
  • Sheriff’s Office issued apology and pledged procedural review

Details of the error

Shustek had been convicted of Assault on a Female in 2024 and Assault with a Deadly Weapon in September. He also faced multiple probation violations and was awaiting Superior Court hearings for those appeals.

Officials said the release resulted from a “serious institutional failure.” The Buncombe County Sheriff’s Office publicly apologized, saying it takes “full responsibility for this procedural error.”

Sheriff’s Office response

The Sheriff’s Office said all available resources were used to locate Shustek and return him to custody. The agency is reviewing its internal procedures to prevent future incidents.

Sheriff’s officials also thanked the District Attorney’s Office for promptly alerting them to the mistake and for contacting the recent victim to ensure safety.

Scroll to Top