Hundreds of yellow-headed blackbirds fell from the sky, and about 100 appeared to die, in Chihuahua, Mexico, on Feb. 7.
The flock of blackbirds quickly descended upon a Chihuahua neighborhood street in footage shared by Reuters, briefly blackening the sky. Most of the birds continued flying in different directions, but dozens remained on the ground, seemingly dead.
Several theories have spread about the cause of the birds’ sudden descent or death. A veterinarian suggested that inhalation of toxic fumes, possibly from a heater, caused the bizarre incident, according to The Chihuahua Herald. The newspaper also speculated that the birds may have been electrocuted while sitting on a power line.
Richard Broughton, an ecologist at the UK Centre for Ecology & Hydrology, told the Guardian that a predatory bird, such as a raptor, was the likely cause. Raptors chase flocks of birds, causing them to fly tightly together before crashing into the ground, he explained.
The Independent suggested that blame for the bird deaths may lie with high levels of air pollutants. There have been several incidents of large numbers of migratory birds dropping dead in New Mexico, according to the Independent. The birds that crashed in Chihuahua were migratory birds from Canada, the outlet said.
You can watch the video below.
Here are some more stories you might enjoy:
- Philadelphia Firefighter Killed in Morning Building Collapse
- Armed Dollar Store Robber Shows Gun, Flees After Owner Responded by Showing His Gun
- NYPD Rescue Boater Thrown Overboard After Vessel Capsized and Sank
- ‘All Catholics are Rapists’ Man Wrote on Wall of NYC Catholic Charities Office
- Deputy Returning Home from 300-Day Military Deployment Surprises Cop Mom at Retirement Party
- Point Pleasant Pop-Up Party Planner Pulls Plug After Mayor’s Stern Warning of Arrest
- Youth Baseball Coach ‘Built Like Linebacker’ Breaks Umpire’s Jaw at New Jersey Tournament
- Rapper MoneyGangVontae Shot and Killed inside New York City Pharmacy During Robbery
- Passing Storm Wreaks Havoc in South Jersey Neighborhood, Tornado Confirmed
- Splat Gun Driveby Leads to Death of 17-Year-Old
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities of our original content, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Read the full story at the Daily Caller News Foundation