Community News

Kite surfer rescue turns out to be false alarm off New Jersey coast

BERKELEY TOWNSHIP, NJ – A large-scale water search off the Ocean County shoreline Sunday afternoon ended with relief after authorities determined that reports of a kite surfer in distress were unfounded.

The Berkeley Township Police Department said the initial 911 call came in around 21st Avenue and the ocean, where a witness reported seeing a kite surfer approximately one mile offshore who appeared to go under the water and never resurface.

Multiple rescue agencies responded within minutes, launching a coordinated search effort that stretched across several miles of coastline.


Key Points

  • A reported kite surfer in distress off Berkeley Township prompted a major emergency response Sunday
  • The search involved Coast Guard, State Police, and multiple local rescue teams
  • Investigators later confirmed that all kite surfers in the area were safe and accounted for

Major rescue operation launched after 911 call

Police said units from the U.S. Coast Guard, New Jersey State Police Marine Unit, Seaside Park and Seaside Heights Water Rescue, the Ocean County Sheriff’s Department, and Seaside Park Police all assisted in the response. Rescue boats and aerial support were deployed as officials scoured the area for any signs of distress.

Witness report leads to false alarm

Investigators later learned that a group of kite surfers had been traveling north from Island Beach State Park around the time of the call. One member of the group had a black-and-white sail, matching the witness description. When police contacted the group in Deal, Monmouth County, they confirmed that all surfers were safe and none had experienced trouble in the water.

Authorities praise response effort

Berkeley Township Police credited the rapid coordination among agencies for ensuring the situation was fully investigated. “Every report like this is treated as a potential emergency until proven otherwise,” the department said in its release. “We’re thankful that all individuals were found safe and accounted for.”

Officials urged beachgoers to continue reporting any suspected emergencies, emphasizing that swift public reporting often makes the difference in real rescue situations.

Continue Reading

Picture of Shore News Network

Shore News Network

Phil Stilton is the editor and owner of Shore News Network. With over 30 years in the media and technology industry, Stilton is a worldwide published photograher and writer. Phil has served as an analyst for Gannett Co., The Asbury Park Press, Home News Tribune, NJ 101.5 and Press Communications. He was the editor of JTOWN Magazine, Toms River Magazine and Howell Magazine. He was also the digital editor of the Ocean Signal newspaper. Phil focuses on government news, politics, law, legislation and criminal news features for Shore News Network.