NEWARK, NJ – A 51-year-old Ocean County man has been charged with possessing a dangerous weapon and damaging federal property after an incident inside the Peter Rodino Federal Building last week, federal prosecutors said.
Keith Michael Lisa of Barnegat was arrested and charged by complaint with one count of possession of a dangerous weapon in a federal facility and one count of depredation of federal property.
Lisa appeared before U.S. Magistrate Judge José R. Almonte in Newark federal court on Monday and was ordered detained pending further proceedings.
According to court documents, Lisa entered the federal building shortly before 5 p.m. on November 12 carrying a full-sized aluminum baseball bat and demanded to see the Attorney General’s Office.
Security officers told him the bat was prohibited, prompting Lisa to leave and return moments later without it, but still visibly agitated and muttering as he went through screening.
Threats and property damage reported
Witnesses told investigators Lisa became angry inside the U.S. Attorney’s Office reception area, allegedly making threatening remarks about “tearing the place up.”
As he exited the building, Lisa reportedly knocked framed items from the walls, causing damage to government property.
Authorities later launched a search for Lisa after he failed to surrender to law enforcement and instead went into hiding.
Coordinated arrest effort
Federal, state, and local agencies worked together to locate and arrest Lisa in the early morning hours of November 15 following a statewide search.
Acting U.S. Attorney and Special Attorney Alina Habba announced the charges, noting that the case underscores the seriousness of security breaches at federal facilities.
If convicted, Lisa faces potential prison terms on both felony counts.
Key Points
- Keith Michael Lisa, 51, of Barnegat, was charged with weapon possession and property damage in a federal building.
- Lisa entered the Peter Rodino Federal Building with a baseball bat and later damaged items inside.
- He was arrested after a statewide manhunt and remains in custody following his court appearance.
