JACKSON, NJ – The Jackson School District has reopened bidding for the sale of Christa McAuliffe Middle School, dramatically lowering the minimum bid after months without a single offer.
District officials announced a new starting bid of $44.4 million, down from the original asking price set earlier this year, in hopes of attracting interest in the 37.5-acre property. Bids are due by 10 a.m. on December 12.
The school was initially put on the market for $54.5 million in October, but that attempt to sell the former Blue Ribbon school fell through.
The sale comes as the district continues to grapple with steep revenue losses caused by the state’s S-2 funding formula, championed by Governor Phil Murphy, which has stripped millions in state aid from suburban districts like Jackson over the past several years.
Funding cuts force hard choices
The S-2 formula, enacted to redistribute state education aid toward underfunded urban districts, has hit Jackson particularly hard, forcing layoffs, program cuts, and now the closure of a major middle school. The Christa McAuliffe building officially closed in June 2025 after serving township students for more than three decades.
“Selling the property remains a fiscally responsible step that will help us continue supporting the present and future needs of the Jackson School District,” said Business Administrator Daniel Baginski. Superintendent Nicole Pormilli called the facility “an exceptional property” that reflects years of investment in modern infrastructure and design.
A modern facility without a market
The two-story, 126,000-square-foot building sits on 37.5 wooded acres along Don Connor Boulevard. It features a cafetorium with a full kitchen, a two-story media center, science labs, music and art rooms, gymnasium and locker rooms, and 188 parking spaces. The property is zoned for public and educational use, though portions fall under residential zoning.
The district’s first attempt to sell the school in mid-2025 drew no qualified buyers, despite the property’s size and amenities. Officials said the revised bid reflects market conditions while still preserving the school’s value to taxpayers.
Fiscal responsibility amid shrinking aid
Jackson’s struggle mirrors challenges faced by other districts statewide as they adjust to the long-term funding reductions under S-2. The law, phased in since 2018, has reallocated hundreds of millions in aid, forcing affected districts to close schools, consolidate programs, and cut staff.
District leaders said the sale proceeds would help stabilize finances and redirect resources to remaining schools. “While parting with a school we have cherished for more than three decades is difficult, this step strengthens our ability to focus resources where they are needed most,” Baginski said.
Bids open December 12
All bids must be submitted in person at the Jackson School District Business Administrator’s Office, 151 Don Connor Boulevard, by the December 12 deadline. Full bid specifications and property details are available on the district’s website at jacksonsd.org/mcauliffesale.
Facing years of state aid cuts under Murphy’s S-2 formula, Jackson has reopened bidding on the closed Christa McAuliffe Middle School, slashing its asking price to $44.4 million after months without offers.
