SAVANNAH, GEORGIA – A Savannah man will spend nearly eight years in federal prison after admitting to a carjacking that left the vehicle crashed and the defendant in the hospital.
Jaquan Shakur Singleton, 26, of Savannah, was sentenced to 94 months in federal prison after pleading guilty to Interstate Transportation of a Stolen Vehicle, and Using and Carrying a Firearm During and in Relation to a Crime of Violence, said David H. Estes, Acting U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Georgia. U.S. District Court Judge William T. Moore also ordered Singleton to pay $9,652.82 in restitution, and to serve five years of supervised release after completion of his prison term. There is no parole in the federal system.
“Two of Jaquan Singleton’s siblings died as a result of gun violence, yet that knowledge didn’t deter him from committing violent gun crime on his own,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Estes. “The community will now be a safer place while he is behind bars, contemplating the bad choices that put him there.”
As described in court documents and testimony, Singleton pointed a handgun at a motorist in a Savannah parking lot in February 2018, stealing the victim’s car and driving away. A short time later, Singleton crashed the vehicle in Hardeeville, S.C., and after being treated at a hospital was taken into custody.
“This kind of threat to any citizen is unacceptable and will be investigated and prosecuted,” said Chris Hacker, Special Agent in Charge of FBI Atlanta. “With the help of the Savannah Police Department and the U.S. Attorney’s Office Southern District of Georgia, Singleton will be punished to the fullest extent of our laws.”
More Georgia News
- Beloved school teacher killed after illegal immigrant fleeing ICE slams into carSAVANNAH, GA – A Georgia elementary school teacher was killed Friday after an illegal immigrant from Guatemala, attempting to flee ICE officers, crashed his vehicle into hers during a high-speed escape attempt through a Savannah intersection, federal authorities said. According to the Department of Homeland Security, Oscar Vasquez Lopez, who had been under a final …
- Two Georgia Lottery players split $1.7 million Fantasy 5 jackpotAtlanta, GA – Two lucky Georgia Lottery players each scored a massive $856,566 prize in the January 31 Fantasy 5 drawing, sharing a total jackpot of more than $1.7 million. The winning tickets were sold at Petro Express, 11716 Brantley Avenue South in Hoboken, and Nouria, 17500 Highway 301 North in Statesboro. Both tickets matched …
- Warner Robins player hits $2 million jackpot on Georgia Lottery ticketAtlanta, GA – A Warner Robins resident is celebrating a life-changing win after claiming a $2 million top prize from the Georgia Lottery’s Big Georgia Raffle scratch-off game. The winning ticket was purchased at Hop In, located at 1104 Highway 96 in Kathleen, and the prize was officially claimed on February 3. The jackpot marks …
- Bar Rescue star Jon Taffer opens Midtown Atlanta tavernATLANTA, GA – Jon Taffer, the hospitality entrepreneur and executive producer of Paramount Network’s Bar Rescue, is expanding his Taffer’s Tavern franchise with a new Midtown Atlanta location set to open February 10 at 1382 Peachtree St. NE. The opening marks the continued growth of Taffer’s Tavern, a modern tavern concept built around classic food, …
- Scandal! South Korean Firm Hanwha Cuts U.S. Workers Hours After Allegations of Slave Labor Use in ChinaDALTON, Ga. – A major solar manufacturer is cutting pay and working hours for roughly one-third of its Georgia workforce after U.S. customs officials began detaining imported components suspected of being linked to forced labor in China, the company confirmed Friday. That company also has offices right here in New Jersey, located in Teaneck. Related …